Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

helical milling

tsaladyga

Hi guys.

I am new to pro manufacturing. I need some advice. I am trying to counterbore a .938 dia. hole with a 1/2" hss endmill. I would like to helical it down .100 deep on a Haas Mill.Can someone walk me through what milling option I should use? I am used to Mastercam and using the circle mill feature with helical ramping. Just not sure what to use on Pro Manufacturing.

Thanks

Hi,

there are several way to do this. One would be to create a volume milling sequence and there you have an option to spiral in, make sure you specify helical diameter and the ramp angle.

The other option would be to use a trajectory. two parameters to work with here:
1. lead_radius and entry angle. The lead radius is the (bore/dia-emill/dia)/2
2. entry_angle: 360 is a full circle. So in your case for a .01 depth it would be 360*10.

Then in customize you need to add a helical approach before the follow cut and a normal or leadout after the follow cut.

Does work pretty good for me. You can add relations to this as well, so thing would work more automatic.

If you have any questions let me know.

Tony

That's great, Tony! Thanks! I have been trying to do that for a long time.
smiley32.gif

Thom

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back