Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Half view combined with broken view

Moon_walk

I'm having some issues doing a diameter dimension across the symetrical line when doing broken views

for some reason i can do this if i use 3d section but then on the other hand i don't get cross section arrows to show up in other views

any work around for this ?

that is to replace the R102.75 with a diameter dimension

The view itself is a broken view .. but i'd prefer a 3d-section to show what i want .. but then i don't get section arrows

Without knowing how you created the views I'm making some assumptions. From the picture it appears what you call a broken view is a Half View (left side of view shows no geometry)? If you use shown dimensions they should show as you dimensioned them in the part. If you're adding dimensions add them before you create the Half View. You should be able to go back to a Full View add the dimensions you need then change the view back to a Half View. The diameter dimensions should appear with a double arrow head toward the geometry removed.

kdem said:
Without knowing how you created the views I'm making some assumptions. From the picture it appears what you call a broken view is a Half View (left side of view shows no geometry)? If you use shown dimensions they should show as you dimensioned them in the part. If you're adding dimensions add them before you create the Half View. You should be able to go back to a Full View add the dimensions you need then change the view back to a Half View. The diameter dimensions should appear with a double arrow head toward the geometry removed.

that is actually the issue here

the view is a broken view where i have a 2 vertical cut lines and 2 horizontal lines .. as i find no way to make the horizontal cuts any other way

if i add dimensions as you say the dimension will appear in full view as you say .. but as soon as i add vertical cut lines to get "half" view .. the dimensions will dissappear. . so all i'm able to do is making radial dimensions no diameter

if i do 3d cross section of this view .. 1/4 cake piece i get correct dimensions and correct broken view as show .. but no way to add cross section arrows to another view

workaround ?

I see, I wasn't sure how you were getting your views. Problem with the broken view is that it removes geometry that you need to show or create the dimension. To get the diameter dimension figure out what the dimension names are, create the added dimension for the radius, change the dimension text to:

erase the appropriate whitness line and you should end up with something like this:

Nice

though a little issue

when typing in what you say .. all i get is the text enteredno dimension

when doing @O &D21:4 allthat shows up is D21 in dimension no numbers..

but if entered into a note i get dimension .. any idea ?

kdem said:
I see, I wasn't sure how you were getting your views. Problem with the broken view is that it removes geometry that you need to show or create the dimension. To get the diameter dimension figure out what the dimension names are, create the added dimension for the radius, change the dimension text to:

erase the appropriate whitness line and you should end up with something like this:

this is weird..

tried exactly same thing on another view and it shows up all ok

but in broken view .. anything that is not inside the view .. for instance diameter dimensions and anything that is referencing on the other side of the symetry line is removed aswell .. any way to fix ?

I went back and tried it with an assembly and it didn't work for me either. Works okay for parts. Best I've been able to determine you'll need to redefine the assembly view so that the geometry is in both halves of the view. The only other way I know to get it to work is to use half view but you won't get the horizontal break you want.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back