Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Gtols & Datums in Assemblys

chilehead

Hey Guys,

I'm using Wildfire 2.0 and have 5 components in in an assembly of a weldment. My 3 assembly datums arefunctional to the the waythe weldment will be mounted and therefore I want to use GTOLS to locate holes/features to these datums. One of the assembly datumsis actually the centerplane of the baseplate, so I want to associate itwith the width dimension of that plate. The problem is, I can't access that dimension because it exists in the component andnot the assembly. Then on the other hand, if Itry to reference a part datum ina GTOL that locates a hole in another component, it's off limits too!

My only workaround I've come up with so far is to make the baseplate component oversize, then create an assembly feature (cut) to bring the base plate down to size and use that assembly dimension to associate the datum to. It works, but seems like a goofy way tohave to do it.

Anyone have a cleaner way to apply GD&T in assemblies???

Thanx,

Chilehead

good question, myself looking forward for the answer.

Anyway, this comes from associative side of Pro\e. You can not mix GTOL with many components - specialy with dimensions. You can`t use Base made in different component niether.

The way I choosed sometime ago was to disable associatice connection between created GTOL - in drawing mode - and parts. You can do this in drawing, in the GTOL menu where you have possibility to create GTOL only in drawing, not in part.

Thanx Jacek,

That's a helpful way I'd not thought of. Your comments about the associative side of Pro/E made me think about "driving" vs. "driven" dimensions. So in thge drawing I added a driven dimension across the baseplate, andTHEN I could associate the assembly datum to the dimension AND reference it in any GTOLSin the drawing.

Problem solved for the meantime until PTC adds that functionality.

Thanx for your help!

Chilehead

Edited by: chilehead

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back