Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

GeForce GT130M, Vista64 & WF4

thermtech

Does anybody know how WF4 will work with a GeForce GT130M graphics card and Vista 64bit?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I think I should be more specific with this question.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Will Pro/E run on a laptop with current midrange

I just bought an HP with the ATI HD3650...
It works with Windows XP Pro, ProeWF2, Thats all I have...
It does have some performance issues though...
It also does some wierd stuff in drawings...
Try get a Lone Machine from your supplier and give it a try first.

From my experience, when using a non-supported graphics card in opengl mode, sometimes it works 100%. But usually, there is some problem - highlighting, line drawing, artifacting, any number of potential graphics problems. At that point, your option is to live with it, use software rendering mode (win32_gdi or something like that in your preferences) or use a different computer.

Of course, when using a laptop, your choices are much more limited - at least on desktops, the low-end Quadro cards can now be procured for $120 (I use the Quadro FX 370 with dual heads and ProE WF4/M70 without any issues and with great speed, even with assemblies up to 700 parts or so).

But, as I mentioned, sometimes a gamer card will work perfectly. I have another workstation which is Vista64 (quad core, 8mb ram) with Nvidia GeForce 9800GT. This is also running ProE WF4 M070. It has no issues and is the fastest proe workstation I've ever used and saw no need to change the video card based on our tests.

I hope your configuration works out - good luck.

I tested WF4.0 on an HP laptop with a GeForce GO 7400, quite old now, and it works perfectly. The only issue is that if you work in wireframe instead of solid it is "a little" slower in highlight response. On the other hand INTEL GMA integrated graphics card have all sort of issues wth Vista: Aero must be disabled and even this way sometimes the graphics window does not update.

So to sum up I think you have to check, but generally a laptop with NVidia or Ati discreet graphics section should do the work 99% right

Paolo

Has Anybody Tried the:

Toshiba Tecra 15.4" WXGA S5-14R TFT Notebook<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz 800MHz W/4M
2GB + 1GB DDR2 677 / 250GB SATA HDD / <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">DVD/RW Super Multi Drive</st1:address></st1:Street>
Nvidia Quadro NVS 130M 256MB / Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/Draft-N, Bluetooth
Windows <st1:place w:st="on">Vista</st1:place> Business & XP PRO Image on DVD

A Colleague is interested in this model...
The Price is very competetive

Mark

If you can afford the few extra bucks, I would go with a base level M90 (or current iteration) with a Quadro card. I have one and it is three years old and still runs great.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back