Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Gear model with phase shifting

magneplanar

MCAD viewers,<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Has anyone made a spur gear that not only includes the involute but also the adjustment for "phase shift" . There is a modification of an equation to allow the gears to have greater tooth width on the weaker gear and reduced width on the stronger gear. Just wondering if anyone has seen a model or made a model that has this function.<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">This shift becomes critical when the involute profile forms an undercut area at the base of a typically smaller gear compared to larger one.<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">thanks...<br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">M

Dear Magneplanar,

As I understand you wish to correct the gears to S0 or S1 correction. The involute profile begins from the base circle diameter and is constant for a particular pressure angle. For S0 corrections (Center distance at theoretical distance) the pcd remains the same. There is a shift only in the addendum circle and the dedundum circle.

Typically if your correction factor is 0.4, the addendum is 1.4*module and the dedundum is (1-0.4)*module. Thus the whole depth remains constant and the tooth undercut is eliminated.

Generate the involute from the base circle with a modified addendum and dedundum circle.

Hi Srini,

Thanks for the information. I will see about building a model using this tip.

I am working on a dual gear and pinion part with phase correction and variable size.

M

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back