Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Flattening a toroidal in an assy

MrDavid

Hi,

I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has any ideasthat wouldhelp me.

I basicaly have two parts that areassembled together in an assembly, they are flat bars, which have then been wraped using the toroidal function (this is basicaly a model of a bush-bearing, showing the steel casing and a liner material(two rings)).

I then need to create a drawing that will show both the toroidal and the flat (net) version of the part.

I'm trying to keep thenumber of parts to a minimum, the inner surface has detail on it (a number of sweeped cuts and some holes etc) so it would be nice to be able not have to add the detail on two different parts (the wraped and flat versions)

I've tried to use the family table, but it doesn't allow you to select the toroidalbend in the assembly to create an instance. As when you try to add a toroidal bend in the assembly it doesn't allow it, you can only make the part active and then create the toroidal feature with in the part.

Is there an easier way than having instances of the single parts and then having them all in the assembly?

Hi MrDavid,

What I've done in similar situations (never with a
toroidal
bend, i must say) is to create simplified representations
of
the parts where I can hide or deactivate functions.

Then in drawings you can create both views with different
simp. representations.

I'm not sure if you can do the same at assembly level.

Hope it helps.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: oscarp

Hi Oscarp,

I've just given this a go. You can't exclude features like the toroidal bend in the assembly, but you can do it at the part level (same as instances). Then in the assembly level you have a rep that you replace the parts for the flat version.

I think the only way I can do this is by having the assembled parts, and just inserting all detail before the toroidal feature. Have a simplified rep of both individual parts and then have a simplified rep at the assembly level referring to the part simp reps.

Then in the drawing have the master and simplifed rep showing.

Thanks for the help, if there are any better ways then would be great to hear about them, but this is a good start.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back