Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Flat State of Extrusion Possible?

ZoltecRules

View attachment 2949

This is similar to what I'm working with...

Currently in our company our manufacturing process involves first taking raw extrusions and machining them using your standard HAAS CNC machine, then bending them according to print. Recently though, some of our CNC programmers have insisted that along with our typical model (which includes the part that is both bent AND machined) to have a flat state model (just machined).

If this was a sheetmetal part, it would have been very simple: just make a flat state instance. However, the only way we have been able to do this right now is to copy the part. It works but leaves the bent and unbent parts unrelated.

Does anyone have a suggestion to maketwo models that are similar except for the bend states?

Thanks in advance!

You could go with your part into sheetmetal. If I understand right you don't have the part done in sheetmetal. That's OK, open the part, go to applications and hit sheetmetal, now your part will be transformed into sheetmetal. It will ask you for thedrive surfaceand for the thickness.And you will be able to create an instance for the flat state.

do u people use pro/intralink or working standalone?? if u use prointralink, its so easy to make another branch and make it flate. Otherwise,(1) save a copy then make it flate, (2) or make an assy, assemble first (master) part in it and make another part that uses its geometry.Its main benefit is whenever u make a change in master, it reflects to the slave part and u can make more changes in slave too.

Hi

Your description ofwhat you are trying to achieve is a little confusing.

You state'Currently in our company our manufacturing process involves first taking raw extrusions' i.e in this case a 'u' section.

'machining them' is this just adding the holes?

'then bending them' ie bending the prefomed 'u' section

Therefore as i understand it you need to show the 'u' section straignt cut to length as it is produced

The straight 'u' section with the machined holes

Then the bent 'u' section with the holes

are my assumption correct?

regards

Richard

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back