Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Filling gaps with welds

MichailS

Hi there

I have an ASM with two PRT whose shapes are not simple. I wish to make a Pro/Mech analysis of this object and in order to make it right I want to add welds.

The welds turned out to be a tough nut to get right, I resorted to projecting lines onto surfaces to sweep a section along, and then I had to component cut away the interference between the solids.

This in itself is somewhat of a mystery because Pro/E just plain refuses to cut one from the other, only the other from the one.

Anyway, the result is a fairly satisfying ASM with a realistic weld, and here comes the problem - Pro/M just plain refuses to mesh the bugger, because there are too many think wedges and sharp corners meeting up.

I am at my wits end here, not knowing what path to venture. The closest at hand would be to lower one PRT into the other and use the surface of the other to cut away some material from the first, in order to obtain a smooth interface between the two.

Problem is I have long since forgotten how to cut a solid with a surface. I am not sure if the vague memories I have pertain to Pro/E or if it is Solidworks I am recalling, because another conflicting memory says it can't easily be done in Pro/E.

Pray tell - how would you advice me to make a weld bead PRT to join two troublesome PRTs in an ASM? I do have the option to cut away material, because the geometry is quite generously dimensioned anyway.

The PRTs in question is one bent thick sheet connecting to another bent thick sheet, the trouble section is where the bent corners meet.

Can you post the assy (probably neutral translation if I'm gonna look), a pic, etc.?

Plate / Shellelement analysis?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back