Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

files from China

CCurtin9

I hope this is in the correct forum (I'm new here).

I have recently been working with a company based in China on some gearboxes. They are sending me Pro Engineer files but I'm unable to open them. The message I get is; '<filename>' cannot be retrieved. I am currently useing Wild Fire 3.0. I don't know what version the files from China are and communication between us and them is very weak.

How can I find out what version they are useing from the files the've sent?

Has anyone else had a problem with files from China? Any suggestions?

csusie said:
Open up the file in wordpad, scan the first part of the
file for version number.

It's just a bunch of boxes with some character here and there. It's probably Chinese, but I don't have a compatible font.

that is true for most of the file, keep going down to
see if there is any legible text. The only things that
will be readible will be version info and such

make sure you use wordpad and not notepad

Edited by: csusie

I looked at it again in wordpad and compared it to one of my files. The files from China are in Chinese and of coarse I could read my own just fine. So I still can't tell the version they are using (until I learn to read Chinese). I'm not sure that it matters because my Pro E may not understand Chinese either.

Thank you for that hint that notepad doesn't work.

I would say it's the first of many problems
smiley2.gif

a sign of things to come

Maybe we can help. We can translate newer files to older WF files. Some fetures will be differant but that is the nature of earlier versions.

The files were sent to a Pro E rep and his conclusion was that the files were
corrupted.

After the fifth try we have received files which we can use. I don't know
what they did differently on their end, but all is well.

Thank you all for your responses.

CLC

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back