Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

FILE NAMING CONVENTIONS

Dick_S

Hey all,

We have an unusual naming convention where a part (.PRT) has the same file name as the assembly (.ASM) into which it is assembled. So, for exampe, K0310000.prt(a large machined plate)is assembled into K0310000.asm. Not sure why this is so, but I'm new here as Windchill admin so I'm just going along with it.

Since we are using Windchill, I am creating one WT part where the .ASM is the owner, and the .PRT is contributing content. It seems that there is a downside to this as our third party reseller Windchill guru has recommended against this.

Can anyone ad any reasoning to this?

Most of my assemblies have a lot more than one part in them. If you name the first part the same as the assembly, what do you name the second part? And what do you do when you reuse a part in a different assembly? Seems like a really bad naming convention to me.

Well, more parts ARE added to the assemblies, but they are commercial parts generally with K060's, K080's and the like. No other parts with K031's.

When we reuse the assembly, both the .ASM and th .PRT get new matching K031 numbers

We've used this convention in specific circumstances.
For example, a sheet metal assembly where we have a
single sheet metal part plus PEM fasteners or other press
in hardware. In that case the part & assy will share a
name since the assy is really only a single part with add
on hardware.

I'd do some digging within your new company and find out
why they are doing this and then dig with your reseller
as to why it would be bad in Windchill (I can't speak to
Windchill). There may be specific reasons that are
unique to this situation that outweigh the Windchill
limitations. Until you understand both you can't really
make an intelligent decision.

We use this convention also, in a similar way to what Doug describes. We don't experience any problems with working this way. If we added another bespoke part it would have it's own number.

FYI I just did it and had no issues. I named the top level part aeembly,(1017-07-0955.asm) then the other parts under it where .prt's.. (1017-07-0955-02.prt...)I even had sub-assemblies under the main assembly (1017-09-0955-01.asm) and it worked great,issued in Windchill fine.etc.etc.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back