Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Fasteners Analysis in Pro Mechanica

acim

Hello.

We often have to deal with fasteners connections like bolting, riveting etc. Can we perform stress analysis of these fasteners in pro mechanica. If any one having any supporting materials please help me.

Acim

I couldn't access your link. What kinds of fasteners are you trying to analyze? What are the loading conditions and constraints. What kind of results are you looking for?

Thank you jabbadeus

Actually I am looking for Fasteners connections as in tension. shear, combine shear & bending, combine tensile & bening and to find forces developed in bolts due to these conditions. Loading conditions may be taken as axial or perpendicular forces. You can simply consider as I want to design bolts for a Truss type structure.

You can create bolted connecetions in Mechanica, but the interface between the bolted parts will not have friction, so you can only evaluate bolt shear and tension.
Edited by: alvarezg

The only functionality Mechanica has for simulating fasteners is to create the load and clampingarea in order to maintain the constraint found with these connections. The fastener itself is not modeled unless you create it as a complete solid part in your assembly and add the proper contact. Please note that friction is included in WF4 ONLY as "infinite" friction. This means that your mating parts will not slide WRT each other but can separate. There is a facility to input the friction coefficient and Mechanica will tell you if your parts would have moved, but it will not calculate slippage. If you are interested in the details of the stresses in the bolt/fasteners themselves, you would be better off using standard hand calculations for thestressin these components. If these are unusual parts, you'd need to model the fastener itself and will have to pay close attention to the meshing of these components.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Cheers,<O:p></O:p>

Chris
Edited by: Kaz Z06

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back