Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

family table

robo_kk

Hi,

I have a question concerning family table. I did two rings, steel one and a gasket. Next, I did an assembly. In this assembly there is one relation, telling that a radius of a gasket is a radius of a steel part minus its thickness. There is a family table of each part (concerning the different radius), and a family table made in assembly. In generic part I also used a "cut out" option, so that the outside part of the gasket is the same as an inside steel part. Unfortunately in instances this cut out option does not work.
Does anyone knows what is the problem?
I attach the problem I have if anyone would like to take a look :)

Problem with family table

Thanks!
Robert

Sorry my antivirus did not like the link you provided. Have you added the cutout to the members of the family table or just in the generic?

Re-gen the generic, verify instances, open instance and re-gen, open assembly, re-gen, see if that fixes it.

no, unfortunately it does not work :/
In each instance i have the same "Cut out id 683", shouldn't it have different id's?
I am not sure if i have done it correctly. The cut out is made in a generic of an assembly... but i guess i can not do this directly in a part?

I thought you made the cut at the part level table. If you made in in the assembly did you apply the cut to the part level?

wht do you mean by that? The "cut out" option is possible only in assembly if i think correctly. I used option: Component>Component operation>Cut Out>Clicked on a gasket>OK>Clicked on a steel part>OK>Done>Done

There is no other options :/

I would try a different way. Kep your relationship of thickness but reather than using the cutout method, in the assmbly, use the profile of the ring and do a revolve cut round the gasket. You'll need to activate the gasket in the assembly and then make the relationship, etc. I haven't had time to try this but it should work. Give it a go.

hi michael,
i did your way and still no positive results. I did all the revolve cuts in generic but it does not moves to the instances.
well... i have to do it more manually, I will just cut it the normal way and keeps the good dimensions..

Cheers!

There are significant problems with creating this type of external relationship in a family table. The primary issue is that you are essentially modifying the generic when you change the reference. Not really a best practice. In order to do this you could create a Pro/Program. Add the radius as a parameter and modify the parameter in the top level assembly family table. Associate a similar parameter in both of the parts to that assembly parameter.

You could also create a layout family table to control this. Again, asking for trouble if everything isn't done exactly right.

In my opinion it's just not worth the trouble and confusion that will be created down the road.
I would suggest not having the external reference in a family table.

thank you srieger. I am not that advanced user of the creo so i don't want to complicate too much. Maybe in the future... :)

Cheers!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back