Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family Table Assemblies and Chart Drawings (and BOM's)

smores

OK - I have a weldment model comprised of multiple generic parts with a working family table structure to pull the appropriate instances. So the model is good.

The drawing has a manually filled out chart showing the part numbers for the given components for a given configuration. I HATE this - I don't think it's acceptable practice to have that much information manually entered. I'm trying to force some updates to our standards, and this is #1 on my list.

In investigating this, I've got a lovely 2D table showing all family table instances, parameters, etc. I've got my BOM table - about half of which is related to the Family table (the BOM shows the generic instance name).

What I can't seem to get my head around is how to "connect" the two (elegantly).

Any thoughts? The beauty of this forum is that somebody has already wrestled with this...

It occurs to me that I could make a seperate repeat region for each model - but that still doesn't really do what I'd like. Or maybe it does - I'll have to play with it. If I have the generic description in the last column, and PART NO/QTY specific to each model as seperate repeat regions to the left of that, perhaps it will do what I need. However, that will only work with assemblies that all of the components related by family tables - not models where I'm turning parts on and off (adding a latch, etc.).

The next step is the assembly level - which we haven't even tackled yet (family table, etc.).

Are there any good resources for "advanced" repeat region work? Can you tie two repeat regions together? (think of relating tables in a SQL database)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back