Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Failure to intersect part

cjt23

Hi. I'm trying to make a simple hole using the hole feature along a plane and I'm getting the "Failure to intersect part" error. I'm trying to make the feature along the DTM_2 plane with a radius of 12mm and a depth of 1mm. The hole will be centered on the A_7 axis.

I tried to vary the depth and radius but nothing worked. I thought it may have something to do with the way I defined DTM_2 plane but I couldn't figure out another way to orient that plane the way I needed.

If someone could let me know how I can resolve this situation It'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2011-07-28_221902_alpha.prt.zip

Also, it was an educational version. It says the parts can be used in retail versions although I've never tried.

I can open the part but I don't understand what you are trying to do from your description.
Edited by: kdem

If I understand what you want correctly offset a plane from DTM_2, create the hole using the offset plane as the reference,and set the depth of thehole to 1mm plus your offset distance.

Here are screen shots of what I'm trying to do and the error I get.

What I'm trying to do:

whatimtryingtodo.jpg

Here is the error I'm getting:
Note the "WARNING: One-sided edge found in HOLE_3". I don't know how to
fix this (if its the problem)

failuretointersectpart.jpg

Note the "WARNING: One-sided edge found in HOLE_3". I don't know how to fix this (if its the problem)

Try my suggestion above if accuracy doesn't work: offset a plane from DTM2, use that as the hole reference, set your depth to 1mm plus the offset distance.

kdem said:
Try my suggestion above if accuracy doesn't work: offset a plane from DTM2, use that as the hole reference, set your depth to 1mm plus the offset distance.

Offsetting a plane worked! Thanks! Would you be able to explain why that worked and how to change the accuracy? Thanks again!

Ithink it's because you curvature in both directions so I'm not sure accuracy would help. By placing the feature on an offset plane you get the feature away from the geometry that is causing the problem. You could also offset the plane to 1mm distance where your hole would stop anduse that as the reference for the hole. If you set the hole distance to 1mm you will probably get the same failure but if you set it greater than that the feature will regenerate. Accuracy is found under File>Properties. You can also set absolute accuracy. To get the option to appear if it's not thereyou need to set enable_absolute_accuracy in your config.pro.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back