Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

extrude from a cosmetic feature

mjjstang

Hello, I have been trying to convert some models over to .sat and the cosmetic features have not been making the conversion. Our only solution so far has been to take the cosmetic feature and extrude it. This happens to be a bunch of louvers, so my boss quickly did his thing and I couldn't follow how quick he did it, but anyway he got the extrusion from the cosmetic, and then coincidentally he couldn't figure out how to pattern it to the hundreds that we needed, well I figured that part out just fine. I entered the specific dimensions and quantities that the original pattern called for, and it placed the extrusion exactly on top of all the others and exported just fine. My question, is how do I exactly pick these cosmetic features to extrude. I just need one, and then I will pattern it. I know I should just ask him, well he is really busy with other things and out of town at the moment, so I figured I would ask all you guys. I am a Catia guy and have not used Pro/E very much. I seem to recall he picked individual lines from this louver, and then somehow projected them to use them as an extrude.

For simplicity sake, this is basically a 4 sided cosmetic sketch, lets just call it a square, and that has been patterned. I understand all the fundamentals of the pad/extrude tool, just cant figure out how to get the original cosmetic sketches to become enabled for an extrusion. Probably simple so hoping someone can direct me to a quick fix. This is a part from an assembly that I have opened in it's own instance. Thanks for any help.

You cannot extrude a cosmetic sketch. Perhaps he created an internal sketch in his extrusion and did a use edge of the cosmetic sketch.

Yes Thank you, I saw the edge tool, and then after you mentioned it, I noticed the 'use edge' feature, again I am new to Pro/E, I am sure this is basic stuff. Thanks again!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back