Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extract part of a drawing for reuse

galanm

Is there a way to, essentially, cut and paste a portion of a part from one model or print to a new one? I'd like to be able to select one group of features and place them in a new part instead of redrawing everything.

Either. I have a part that I completed to export as .stl fora 3d printer. Since it ws just for that, I drew both left and right halves as one part file. I now find that I need to generate prints for each side for milling from plastic instead of the FDM. I promise never to combine parts again.
smiley32.gif

Do you have the Advanced Assembly License? Can you do a
Insert->shared data-> Merge/Inheritance command?

If not you could create a surface or datum plane where you
want to split the model, Solidify that surface or datum
plane to cut one half away. Save a copy of the model, in
that model edit the solidify to cut the other half.

My shared data pulldown doesn't have the merge/Inheritence command. If I do the solidify and cut, will I still have the dimensional references of that half or will it only show the dimesions for what we kept? I have cut out one half one time and still ended up with all the dimesions from the ghost side. Also will the spin center relocate to the center of the saved part? Or will it still assume the center is where it was in between the two parts?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back