Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

export proe file with maximum accuracy

ecsreeni

hi friends,

anyone can tell how to export one proe file with maximum accuracy, which option is best, i offen import file from other software /stp file and do modification then i want to export a good quality step file.

thanks in advance

sreeni

The most important factor is model quality.

Beyond that it's complicated and I'm not real sure what "with maximum accuracy" means. Taken literally, it's usually not something you want to strive for.

Let's start with saying that most imports/exports in STEP run well. When I have trouble it is with :
<UL>
<LI>Complex surfaces. They can be inaccurately defined in the originating CAD or "misunderstood" on the receiving end. Or be out of bounds, and where one software deals with the situation where another doesn't have a solution.</LI>
<LI>Incorrect models. Like sheetmetal parts with self-intersecting surfaces. Had a situation last where ProE managed the model and the import through STEP didn't produce a solid. After examining the faulty parts it was clear that the fault existed in ProE, but was "covered up", while exporting and importing revealed a bad area.</LI>[/list]

Inaccuracy mainly starts with different concepts of the same thing. You would think for instance that an arc would be defined by radius and a start- and endpoint but Autodesk, to name one,defines arcs in polylinesas start- and endpoint and "bulge" ("the tangent of 1/4 the included angle for an arc segment"). Calculating on this mostly leads to results that fillets are no longer tangent to the lines they connect, when importing. But there is little you can do to this type of "accuracy" because - like in human language - translating can only try to convey the concept but can't be called accurate.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back