Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"Expert" machinist?

cncwhiz

I have been using pro for a long time and have always programmed using "pro nc". I decided that I would "try" to use expert machinist. I spent a few days with it and have come to see that it sucks! Is expert machinist supposed to be a light version of pro nc? I can't find pro process, it does not allow me to use MDB's, the parameter selection is very limited etc... I posted on the other site and no replies on this topic. Does anyone use it?

We haven't used it ourselves but did look at buying it. My summary is that is is supposed to be for very simple parts and let you make quick and dirty programs for simple parts. It has only a fraction of the power of Pro/MAN. If you are good at using Pro/MAN and use lots of fastkeys, etc. then it probably isn't even much faster, but for newbies would take less training to be proficient.

I don't see anyvalue in itfor someone that is already an expert at Pro/MAN.

I was looking at the features that it can handle for my backup guy. You can build templates for every little thing and I tried to build data into the tools for speeds and feeds but it did not work well? I guess I will re-visit automating pro nc. I think that I will build up my tool libraries, MDB;'s, and setup to make them as simple as possible. I do some crazy stuff where I merge two reference models into one program and use APT words to toggle features on and off in the gcode. None of these things look like they can be done in expert machinist? I guess the experts are not too expert? I am putting together a 2 1/2 axis router for a guy with a sign shop. The operating system is pc based and the 150.00 programming software is ready to go out of the box? Makes me think that we are running software that is over complicated?

Expert Machinist is IMHO a feeble attempt by PTC to automate our job... nice idea, but limited to simple tasks such as holes, pockets, etc. OK for a crude jobs, but that's about it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back