Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Ethernet card deactivates

soddyboy

I just in stalled Flex LM and Pro/E on a new Compaq 8510w. When I unplug the network cable the NIC looses power and Flex LM does not see the card. I get the "no network card installed" warning. I have already done all of the Wake on LAN Stuff. What do I do?

I did that already and it works fine. The issue is that when you unplug the network cable the ethernet card looses power or goes to sleep. I have disabled all of the power saving settings and it still does this.

A nice simple way to keep the card alive is to make a loop back ethernet plug to leave in the port.

I got an IT type to do this for me, but if you can get an RJ45 crimping tool or are any good with a soldering iron it should be straight forward - http://www.tikkiweb.net/loopback shows you how.

Always has worked a treat with my Dell laptop, where the ethernet card seems to want to go to sleep all the time, even if I tell it to stay alert as long as possible before the power saving kicks in.

Good luck,

Greg

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back