Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Embedding a Model in PowerPoint

jjworrell

Using Pro-E Wildfire 2.0...<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I am putting together a presentation at work for a new design, and I would like to be able to have a 3D model embedded in one of my slides that I canmanipulate. In other words, I'd like the ability to rotate and zoom a model all within PowerPoint.

I thought this was achieved by exporting a Product View file, but I have been unsuccessful in my attempts at "saving a copy". Am I way off base here? Is there a way I can manipulate a model within a PowerPoint presentation, or is this just a pipe dream?

Our conference rooms aren't equipped with Pro-E and this design is extremely complex. The only adequate way to portray my design would be by showing them a model.

Thanks in advance, I have asked a few questions before in this forum and everyone did not hesitate to answer.

Jonathan

A simplier way may to to download eDrawings - without a license, you can export the ProE file so that you can view, rotate, manipulate, hide parts, etc. With a license, you can export in a format that enables you to measure & cross-section the model.

You could also download a free 30 day trial of Adobe Acrobat 3D.

As far as I am aware, you can imbed the adobe 3D file into PowerPOint.

michael3130 said:

Adobe 3D is RIDICULOUS. I HIGHLY reccommend everyone in this forum to give it a shot at least once.

Thanks for the great tip Michael.

I take it that in this case ridiculous is good?
smiley17.gif

You should be able to do this with the next release of Product View. It was Demoed at a PTC conference.

Along these lines...

Is there a way to export a simplified rep with 3D notes attached?

Is there a way to hide 3D notes in a simplified rep?

I have a bunch of simplified reps with 3D notes on them (a 3D installation procedure in case you were curious), and I wanted to export a simplified rep with 3D notes attached and import that into Adobe 3D. Not sure if this is possible. Thx!

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan

jjworrell said:
michael3130 said:

Adobe 3D is RIDICULOUS. I HIGHLY reccommend everyone in this forum to give it a shot at least once.

Thanks for the great tip Michael.

I've read this a few times and I'm still not sure if you thought Adobe 3D was ok or not? I know it's far from ideal but it does serve a purpose. As for ridiculous, I'm not sure what you guys there understand it to mean but in the UK, that would be saying it's not very good.

There are several small programs, that can be used.

I personally use a small program, 3D-tools.It's 300

At work we also use 3D-Tool. With it you can create .exe files of 3D data which can be read by anyone without 3D CAD software. You can integrate it into a PPT just like any other file.
I find this program to be very useful to send to customers who only get drawings because they don't have a CAD program, or simply to show your data at meetings.
It's also quite easy to use. It could be a bit more refined in some areas but it's well worth the money. Just download a demo version and see for yourself!

There's just one thing I really miss, and that's the fact that you can only import surface/solid geometry and not 3D curves, which we use e.g. to indicate decoration areas on parts....
smiley19.gif

Have you given Autodesk's Design Review a try? It's a free download from Autodesk. Also, download the DWF Writer. This will create an icon inside Pro/E to create a DWF file. It also creates a printer driver to allow DWF creation from any program that can print. The DWF file can be embedded in PowerPoint and manipulated during the slideshow. With Design Review you can measure, redline and cross-section. Multiple documents(drawings, models, word docs, spreadsheets, web pages, etc.)can also be merged into a single DWF. I have found this to be an indispensable tool forcollaboration.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back