Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Editing a Pattern.

ckirchen

I have a job with six identical part set up in a 3 x 2array. I thought I would be clever and use the sequence pattern tool.

So, I first created 9 sequences to mill to front, left part. Then I went to pattern the 9 sequences into a 3 x 2 array (I grouped them first).

First off, am I missing something? Why is the pattern tool so archaic compared to the pattern tool in Part Modeling? It is prompt driven andwhere is the dashboard with all of the pattern options.

Second, when I tried to pattern the entire group of sequences, it fails. So, I had to go through and pattern each sequence individually. But, each pattern requires that I type in the number of instances and the offset. Talk about a time killer and an opportunity for errors. Is there a better way?

Lastly, when I try to redefine the sequence, I am told that I have to delete the pattern first. So I have to I delete the pattern, make the change, and recreate the pattern; is that correct?

Thanks,

Chris

Hmmm...maybe I was doing something wrong last time.

I had a another similar part to make today, also in a 3 x 2 array. This time the group pattern worked, the dashboard came up, and I can edit the sequence without deleting the pattern first.

I don't know what I did wrong last time, but here's what I did this time:
<UL>
<LI>Select all of the sequences and related geometry (sketches, mill volumes, planes, etc.) and group them.</LI>
<LI>Select Machining > Utilities > Pattern</LI>
<LI>Select the group</LI>
<LI>Set up the pattern</LI>[/list]

Hopefully that helps someone else.

I found out why the pattern failed the first time I tried it. ProNC cannot pattern sequences made with Trajectory and Holemaking through pattern tool as described in my second post.

I got both to work by patterning the part into the 3 x 2 array. Then, when I select Pattern, the option for a Ref Pattern comes up.

When done correctly, the ability to edit the sequence without having to delete the pattern first is retained.

A Csys Pattern does not allow you to edit the sequence without deleting the pattern.

I forgot to mention that I read in the Enhancement Details that ProNC in WF5.0 has improved pattern tools.

Just out of interest I always use the Subroutines option when I have multiple parts to machine. Although it is not the most friendly tool it does give lots of control. Once you get used to it a pattern can be set up in minutes and it leaves your Operation Tree unmolested so that tweaking your Sequences is really easy.

I am still Using WF3 so that might have all changed with 5.

Darren

We often have a featureconsiting of one or more sequences(often trajectory) in an operation that needs to be patterned. I have not found anything other than the archaic version that you outlined to perform this type of pattern. Are there other ways around this inadequacy? We don't use subroutines here and that won't be changing, so that route is out. Some sequences will show the dashboard when using the utilities menu, but promptly blow up when finished.

Steve

Not to ask to obvious a question, but why are you not using
a subroutine instead of a pattern? You can have it output
the paths verbosely as opposed to using calls, so your
postprocessor should not need any tweaking.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back