Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ECAD Route Keepout WF2

kwillo

The IDF v3 spec says that route keepouts can be assigned to top, bottom, both, inner or all layers.

Within Pro/E I can only see a way of attributing it to top or bottom (depends on whether the area is sketched onto top or bottom surface). The "both sides" option that you get with place keepout and keepin isgreyed-out.

The resulting .emn for the route keepout looks like this:

.ROUTE_KEEPOUT UNOWNED
0&nbsp ; 5.00000&nbsp ; 13.9000 0&nbsp ; 0.00000
0&nbsp ; 5.0000 0&nbsp ; 8.4000 0&nbsp ; 0.00000
0&nbsp ; 3.5000 0&nbsp ; 8.4000 0&nbsp ; 0.00000
0&nbsp ; 3.50000&nbsp ; 13.9000 0&nbsp ; 0.00000
0&nbsp ; 5.00000&nbsp ; 13.9000 0&nbsp ; 0.00000
.END_ROUTE_KEEPOUT

I guess I could manually edit the exported .emn but is thereanyway to automatically attribute a route-keepout toALL or BOTH layers?

Thanks for your help.

KW

When you import an emn file with areas, Pro/E may create a FEATURE parameter called ROUTING_LAYERS for which you I have seen values of TOP, BOTTOM and ALL. There may be others valid values including BOTH.

Doing this on your parametric PCB "should" produce similar results on export. However if you do use this method I suggest having a presaved model tree configuration that lists ROUTING_LAYERS as a column for checking purposes.

If you want a visible duplicate on the other side, try the following method.

Do a feature/copy/dependant/same references and leave all the dimensions unmodified to DUPLICATE the area.

Edit the references of the new feature to re-route the sketch plane from the top surface to the bottom surface. (You may have to ungroup the new group to do this)

This should give you a perfect replica of the top area on the bottom. Moreover, changes to the top area so also update the bottom area.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

I had a search through the model tree columns for routing_layers and this opened up a whole new world to me! I hadn't realised such parameters were imported from ECAD - very useful.

Good idea re: copying features from top to bottom as well. Thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back