Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

drawing with 2 formats

dora

hello everybody!

I need to create a drawing containing 4 sheets. The first 2 sheets use a format A and the next 2 sheets contain the whole first 2 sheets with format A scaled down and included in a format B. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
At the end I have to save this drawing as a .tif file with 200dpi resolution, monochrome.

The only way that I could do this was:
- save the first 2 sheets as .cgm then create a symbol from each of the first 2 sheets (with format A)
- include the symbols in the last 2 sheets that contain format B.
The problem I have now is that every time when I have to change something I have to recreate the symbols.
To obtain a tif. file with 200 dpi I have to save the drawing .pdf file first and then use

I would try to use overlays. You can make the sheets 3 & 4 as a separate drawing with format B and place an overlay of the original in it. For some reason, overlay is not under the insert menu, I think it is tools. The beauty is that the overlay will update whenever the original changes.

Thank you, dr_gallupfor your help!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It's seems to be the good way to go butI have only one problem:

It's there a way to scale down the sheets 1 and 2? They have to be scaled down to fit in format B.

Thank you!

dorina

I have not found a way to scale overlays. Here is what the help system has to say:

<ul><li ="kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Bulleted">
If the size of the current drawing is different
from the size of the source drawing, the overlays brought into the current
drawing maintain the same screen size (that is, they occupy the same portion of
the graphics window) as they had in the source drawing.[/list]

Perhaps there is some way to trick Pro/E, I'll let you know if I find one.

Dr_Gallup,

The situation

Small Assembly approx 50 odd parts.
Driven by layout

I have a an assembly drawing in which I've Insert -> Shared Data -> from file.
and selected all the individual drawings.

The thought process being that one would update the layout, regenerate and hit print and have the production boys working for a week in 5 clicks.

This works well but often need a little dimensional clean up.

Just wondering the advantages / disadvantages of this approach in respect to overlays.

Has anyone else set up something like this?

Here is a work around that will take some experimentation to get it to work correctly.

For the second drawing B, create a new format that is the size you want the drawing A to scale to. Then you create the format bigger than what Pro/E thinks is the actual size. The easiest way may be to open you existing A3 size format, rename it in memory (not on file) then rescale everything in the format by say 1.5 from the center of the format. Now when you create drawing B with the enlarged A3 format and overlay drawing A it will come in inside the format.

You are going to have fun working out the plotting details but Pro/E will plot outside the limits of what it thinks is the actual drawing size.

Good luck.

Thank you for help!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

dr_gallup, I created the format bigger than what Pro/E thinks is the actual size. WORKS!!!!!!!!!<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
smiley32.gif
</v:shape>I appreciate your help.

have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dorina

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back