Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing views moving around

Søren Spætte

Hej,

I have an old drawing that has a peculiarity:

Every time it is opened the views and BOM balloons have moved about. I can fix it up to be as we want it, then save it, and next time most of the contents have moved around.

I had a theory that it was due to two components that could not be unhidden, but I have deleted those and inserted them again to get around the problem. No change.

Any suggestions?

2012-09-10_074701_Jumping_BOM.zip<edited><editID>S

Hello,

You can prevent views from moving around by setting the view origin to a stable (fixed) reference in the view properties. I use the main coordinate system of the part.
You can also use the config.pro setting 'drawing_view_origin_csys' to set the origin to a suitable coordinate system by default.

Views moving around can be caused by changes to the model. By default, the view origin is set to the centre of the entire model. This includes non-displayed elements like curves and surfaces. Think of the view centre as the centre of a bounding box around the entire model, i. e. all features.

So when you change the size of this bounding box by any means, a non fixed view origin will cause the view to move in the drawing, even when the solid geometry has not been changed!

<div id="swiffout"></div>

I had this problem before, when it was only a datum plane that was far away from the geometry.I solved it by changing the views to partial views.

Dear all, thanks for all suggestions.

I have tested all, but to no avail.

I redo the drawing to be perfect in Pro/E, check in, plot, things jump around.

Check out, redo to perfect.. etc. After 5-6 iterations, the result is acceptable but not as the model I checked in... And next revision, the same rounds, no matter how minor the update.

I am pretty sure it is a combination of the above, unstable view references and odd datums outside the model. Iam considering redoing the entire assembly and overwriting the old to remove the 'jinx', might do so on next revise.

When making the view origins fixed to a stable reference it should no longer be possible anymore for the views to move.

Note that to set the view origin (in WF4) you -MUST- select the view origin reference (CS) in the drawing. When selecting it in the model tree or by using the find tool, you can select it, but Pro/E does not remember it!
smiley18.gif

So display the CS in the drawing view. You might have to temporarily unhide the layer the CS is on for this. Then set the origin through the view properties dialog. Then hide the layer again. This should always work...

<div id="swiffout"></div>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back