Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing View Combined States

blumb

Hi All,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I am trying to create 2D drawing views using views I create in the View Manager. I have created views in the Assembly model under the All tab in the View Manager containing Style, Explode, Orientation, Rep., X-Sec; each view displays a certain Orientation, <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Explode</st1:placeName> <st1:place w:st="on">State</st1:place>, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Style</st1:placeName> <st1:place w:st="on">State</st1:place></st1:place> and all have the same Master Rep.

When I create the views on the drawing and specify the Combined States that I want, it creates the view using the correct orientation, explode state and Rep but it will not show the Style. I want certain parts blanked without having to redefine the view display to manually blank each component again.

I do not want to use Simplified Reps to blank components because it creates a different BOM for each view. I also do not want to have to "re-create" it style by blanking the components again. I have search many locations trying to find the answer to this issue but thought I might try here as well.

Thank you for your assistance.

blumb said:
Hi All,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I am trying to create 2D drawing views using views I create in the View Manager. I have created views in the Assembly model under the All tab in the View Manager containing Style, Explode, Orientation, Rep., X-Sec; each view displays a certain Orientation, <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">Explode</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACE w:st="on">State</ST1:pLACE>, <ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">Style</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACE w:st="on">State</ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACE> and all have the same Master Rep.<O:p></O:p>

When I create the views on the drawing and specify the Combined States that I want, it creates the view using the correct orientation, explode state and Rep but it will not show the Style. I want certain parts blanked without having to redefine the view display to manually blank each component again.<O:p></O:p>

I do not want to use Simplified Reps to blank components because it creates a different BOM for each view. I also do not want to have to "re-create" it style by blanking the components again. I have search many locations trying to find the answer to this issue but thought I might try here as well.<O:p></O:p>

Thank you for your assistance.<O:p></O:p>

I have the same problem... there's any solution???

Thanx in advance (proe WF3.0 M150)

It appears combined state in detail drawings does not function. Basic concept of an assembly that shows shaded components and then some wire frame just does not seem to work.

Anybody else over come this bug? IT would be greatly appreciated.

I also have the same problem. Seems the Style settings from the assembly do not carry over into the Combined State in the drawing. You can set the Display Style for the drawing view, but that is for the whole view.
I wanted to use the Combined State in a drawing view to show the main assembly as "No Hidden" and some Label Decals as "Shaded".
Does anyone know of any other method to accomplish this?

Thanks, (ProE WF3 M210)

You can use VIEW - DRAWING DISPLAY - COMPONENT DISPLAY to change the display style of individual components/sub-assemblies in each view

I needed to use the combined state for especially to show some components shaded while others are no hidden or whatever, I couldn't succeed.

I am guessing while being developed it is intended to work but in reality it isn't working.

Ali

Am I missing something under VIEW - DRAWING DISPLAY - COMPONENT DISPLAY ? I can not find any option to change an individual component display style to shaded.

Sure, we could use Component display to remove any unwanted components from being displayed within a view, however, I'm trying to reduce regeneration time. Say I have a 5000 part assembly (then add in any number of features per part), if I "hide" components from a view they still get regenerated. What if I have to show multiple views across multiple sheets? Imagine the regen time. I could use reps in each view to cut down on regen time but then if I have to add balloons to the views I cannot use one BOM. You have to use a seperate BOM for each rep., well I guess I can alos add the balloons manually.

My point is, the functionallity is there in "modelling" mode but doesn't carry through to the drawing. Hopefully this will change in WF5.0, doubt it's in WF4.0

Thanks,

Brian WF3/ILink, soon moving to WF4/PDMLink

Arc-Pro you are mistaken about being able to use that feature and what the intent on "styles are. What we have here is a functionality problem and PTC has not recognized it. SImple drawing sure. Complex no-way.

We mention "did not carry over into drawing mode" in our answers but yet the help guide suggests the technique of using the styles function from part modeling. So clearly it was not tested with any degree of accuracy and has been missing in the many 100's of enhancement PTC claims is why we should be paying droves for maintenance.

Sorry, I guess I am venting a bit but I think we "customers" somehow need to band together more to get PTC to smarten up. I have used the above example to try and get updates and back on maintenance for our company but it falls on deaf ears. 10k for Maint. for a 6 seat company is far too much of an expense and hard for us Engineers to show the benefit for our company spending it.

Any ideas ?

I agree with eharmony. Itshould really be a simple enhancement I think to show shaded components using style functionality of modeling in drawing mode.

Because they(PTC) already improved and now we can have a view of the complete assembly or the part as shaded. But that is not somethingwhich is needed more than just showing the componenets of an assembly or cabling in the assembly as shaded in drawing mode.

To blumb

On the other handin order to reduce the regeneration time in drawing especially you erase the views that you finished working on and then when it is needed or you are about to print you can resume them back. Go to

View>Drawing Display>Drawing View Visibility> Select the view you want to Erase(Identical to suppressing)

select the block that stands for the view right click menu and Resume View when you need it.

Ali

I have just been trying to use combined states in drawings to show components in different styles in different views. I am using Wildfire 5 and PTC do not seem to have managed to progress things. Whenever I use the combined state in the drawing the layers display incorrectly, irrespective of how I use the layer option.

Does anyone of have any tips on how to use this properly is it just PTC being useless?

Sam

SW,

Regarding layer states in a combined state.

If the combined state is created in an assembly then the layers must exist in the assembly itself for their state to be saved with the combined state.

To check if the layers are in the assembly, suppress all the components in the assembly and see that the layer tree still shows the layers whose status you are trying to save in the combined state. If the layers aren't there then create them in the assembly.

The "Layers: Include Current Status" check box in the WF4 View Manager, All tab, combined state definition, seemed to be completely useless until I figured this out.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back