Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing Reference

mattcoyle

When I make drastic revisions to part files I usually save them as diff part names so I can go back to the old model if neccesary. The problem is the only way I can figure out how to have the drawing reference the new part (as to prvent me from having to redimension everything) is to copy the revised part file to another folder, put the drawing file in that folder and then rename the part file back to the original part file name.

Is there anyway to open the drawing and then change the part file it is referencing?

Matt,

What you want to do is have both the drawing and part in session and then do a Save As of the drawing (This will create the new part for you as well).

Remember that the part and drawing have to have exactly the same name

Kev

Sorry Kev,

I think it's just the other way around. When you do a "save as" of your part, the drawing gets saved as well. Otherwise you'll end up with two drawings of the same model.

Sip
Edited by: sip

As long as you haven't purged your directory, all your original parts are there.

Each time you save the model, you are creating a new file. If you find that you need to open a previous one, just erase from memory and then explicity open whatever.prt.3 (or whatever revision you want to open. you have to type the .3 in to select it if you don't have it set to show all versions.

I need to have two seperate complete drawings. Say for instance I am doing a part that requires a left and right drawing. Usually ill model the right, make the drawing the mirror the part, save it to another file then copy the drawing to that file. Why do I have to change the .prt file name back to the original so the drawing will see it. Once I create a drawing I can't change the drawing reference.

Matt,

You can change the model the drawing references in the following way:

In case of fam table part: on the drawing background RMB>properties>drawing models>replace> pick a different instance.

In case you just want a new model that is not a member of a fam table, you can still do it. RMB>properties>drawing models>add model> pick your new model. Add your views, etc. To get rid of the other model, you need to dlete the views first. Then your drawing will reference the new model. I'm not sure what the benefit would be, but you can do it.

Sip

matt,

I was off on the wrong track altogether..... Mirror makes a big difference here.

Where I work at the moment, all they would do is have -001 as the LH part and -002 as the RH part, detail the LH part and add a note that states that -002 is folded opposite to -001.The advantage to this way is that there is only one drawing to do, the disadvantage is that it tends to cause problems for other departments. This may not be possible with your part numbering/drawing system.

Kev

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back