Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

drawing fonts for pdf?

krow72

What is the best drawing font for pdf compatability? What font do you use? I use "font" and notice that some of my decimals disappear when I create pdf's
smiley11.gif

krow72

Do you "stroke all fonts"?

I find making PDF's directly from Pro/E more trouble than it's worth. I just make postscript files and then convert them. 100% guaranteed to look right. It's been working since they added Pro/Detail in about release 12. Ain't broke so I don't fix it.

I have not used "stroke all fonts" before but I will try it and see what it gets me. Can you run me thru your process for postscripting and then converting, I am also interested in that option as well.

Krow72

You need to use "stroke_all_fonts" if you use the "font" font. There is no true type equivalent of "font" so the spacing gets screwed up in the font translation. Go figure, true type can't do a stick figure font?

Anyway, to do it my way, I have a printer configuration file "postb" that prints any size drawing to our B size laser printer and saves the postscript file:

plotter POSTSCRIPT
button_name POSTB
button_help Plots B size output to HP 8000
plot_drawing_format YES default
plot_segmented NO default
plot_roll_media NO default
plot_handshake NO default
plot_label NO default
create_separate_files NO default
plot_with_panzoom YES default
rotate_plotting NO default
allow_file_naming YES
plot_name YES
interface_quality 3 default
plot_destination file_and_printer default
plotter_command windows_print_manager \\GVLPRINT\GVL28124
pen_table_file G:\solid\drw_files\postscript20.pnt
plot_sheets all default
paper_size_allowed B A
paper_size B default
plot_clip NO default
plot_area NO default
!landscape_postscript_print yes default
plot_access create

I call it from a mapkey that turns off all datums & does a zoom all first. I manually send the .ps file to Acrobat distiller's "in" folder but you could send it there automatically with a plot_file_dir setting. Distiller watches the 'in" folder and automatically creates the PDF file in it's "out" folder. You can also use Ghost Script or dozens of other free PDF creators.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back