Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

draw_scale

SharathN

<DIV =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Hi,</DIV>
<DIV =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></DIV>
<DIV =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Can anyone tell me how to automatically change the drawing scale, based on model size? I want to increase the drawing scale if the model size decreases and vice versa. I did this about a year ago, but forgot how to do it.</DIV>
<DIV =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></DIV>
<DIV =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Sharath</DIV>

Hi,

To do this you need to first set your views in your drawing to be the size required. Next you should write a relation for drawing scale.

drawing_scale_factor = value/dimension symbol

The "value" is the value of the dimension you wish to use to rescaleat the time you set this relation. The "dimension symbol" is the symbol of that same dimension you are using for value.

So what you are doing is telling ProE that the "scale" setting in the drawing at that time is equal to 1. So when you change the"value" in the modelthe factor will change and update the "scale" automatically.

Hi Raymon/Sharat,

Can you pleaseexplain mein detail how exactly thisis done. I am facing the same problem and I didn't understand the steps explained in the above post. It would be great if youlet me know how to change the scale based on the model size.

Chandana
Edited by: malempatich

Hi Sharath,

Thanks for the link. I understood what to do from it but still I am not able to figure out how to calculate the size of the model. Do we use snap lines for doing that?

The pdf says "CONSIDER: Using an Analysis Feature or a Reference Dimension for computing the Model Size".

I can use reference dimension to calculate the size but I want to automate this process (using trail files)i.eIneed tocompute the size automatically based on the model.

Chandana

Create a parameter (length) in the model which you want to
consider as the model size and use the "length" parameter
in relations.

Find the attached *.gif.

Please let me know what exactly you are looking for if the
above explanation is not sufficient for you?

I want to take a model (say X) and get the size(length or width) so that I can calculate drawing_scale_factor and scale it accordingly. Now since I am automating this process, I am running the trail files by changing the input model so that it takes a new model, Y.Nowthe calculation (length, scale)for modelYshould happen automatically.

I can get length from what you said for model X, but when ido the same thingfor Y, the lengthis remaining same as that of X. It should change according to the length of this model.

Sorry if I am confusing.

Overall idea behind this is,for any model provided as input to this process, scaling should be done accordingly without manual intervention. The formula works but it requires a length parameter which changes for every model. What I want is a way to get this length automatically depending on the model.

Chandana

<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Here'showautomatic scaling feature works:</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>

1) Create a New drawing and in the new drawing window select a template or selectempty with format and specify your format.

2) Then goto "Applications" in the Menu bar and select "template" mode. Then goto Insert-->Template View which opens up a "template view instructions" dialog box. Give whatever orientation you want under the view values for View States.You can give a saved orientation too. Then select place view, depress left mouse button and draw a boundary on the template. Now save thisas a template. We can't place a model directly on this.

3) Next time when creating a drawing, select this particular template which you saved and it will automaticallyplace the model to fit in that boundary of the template.

Regards,

Chandana</DIV>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back