Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

draft analysis - best practices

hellomoto

question about best practices with the draft analysis tool. (wildfire 3)

Is this tool generally used after drafts are created in the model to validate the drafts?

Or is it used before adding drafts to get an idea of what draft angles should be used for a part?

I'm asking this because the color scale is confusing me (If I have to put in drafts first, then what's the purpose of a rainbow or gradient scale? shouldn't the results be binary? The draft is good or the draft is bad with undercuts.), and the ability to change the draft angle in the definition tab makes me believe I can do the ladder with this analysis. (How do you interpret the numbers on the scale?)

Thks in advance

In the area "draft Angle" click the both sides button, which is checked in the above picture, enter the draft angle that you are looking to check. Above Jeff has used 12 degrees. The scale that you then get is usually positive at the top (magenta)and negative at the bottom(blue) Zero degree draft is shown in green. It does show you a sliding scale because if you have some complicated 3d surfaces you may not have a clean draft angle. The scale gives you a good picture of whats happening with the draft of a component.

Thx guys, I see the scale options can be binary, and I understand the color gradient.

one last question for clarity: should draft angles be added to the part prior to using the draft analysis?

I lied, one more question: is it best practice to add all drafts and radius to a part before creating the drawing?.... Often it is very difficult to dimension a drafted and rounded part. Sometimes, the edges aren't selectable. I sometimes call out the drafts and radius in the notes.

I don't think it matters when you create the drawing with respect to draft features ... or draft analysis.

There is no reason you could not add a draft analysis feature then draft. Probably should give your draft on your part your best effort .... drafting it first then draft feature might be logical.

I usually run it right before I think I sm finished. It gives me a visual check to make sure I didn't miss drafting anything.

Create your Draft analysis feature when your ready to start drafting, its a good running check that you can do whilst drafting, I even draft away with the saved analysis feature on. It's easier that way with some complicated parts.

As for having them in drawings it can cause some problems, but with your plastic parts manufacturers will probably just use the part to create any tooling, thus in your drawing dimensioning is concerned with assembly level features, major features and CMM features if you add themt. well thats the way most of my clients operate, i dont know any of them that go over-board with dims on plastic parts.

Paddy
Edited by: mcgowanp

Do you guys have any idea how to removed the saved draft
analysis feature after you made it. I cannot see it in my
model tree like other saved features. I have tried to see
if my tree filters isn't for this group, but even with
everything ticked I still cannot see a feature. Would like
to switch it off after I have done all my drafting.

Cronje
Edited by: Cronje

Thanks Jlittle

This was exactly what I was looking for. We have also found
that if you place your cursor selection option on
"Annotation" you can select the Draft Analysis which are
visible on your screen at that stage. But the history of
previous created Analysis was never available in this way.
Saved Analysis is a much better way of controlling them.

Cronje

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back