Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dimensioning Problems

dazn6

Hello everyone,

I have a drawing file that can't get the dimension. I have looked up some of the related topics brought up by the other members and also tried them, but it just won't help. I have a drawing file that I need to add dimension to the front, top, and right side view. Choosing Shows and Erase seem do not help. If you have had this problem or fixed this problem, please help me out.

Daz

dazn6,

1) in your drawing you have these three views of the model that you mentioned? or no views yet?
2) can you maunally add any dimensions at all, or just the show/erase does not seem to work?
3) did you look at the drawing setup options? (right click-->select "properties"-->select "drawing options")
4) did you tro to right click on a view and choose "show dimensions"?

cheers...

M

Hello Magneplanar,

1. I have the three views and also an isometric model on the drawing plane.
2. I can still add/edit dimension to the them, and the show/erase works. But the show/erase did not work very well because it showed all the dimensions in a very messy way.
3. No I did not. Thanks for the advise, I will take a look at it.
4. I tried right click and "show dimension" and the result came out same as #2.

I am trying to find the dimension in a more simple and neat way. I will try to check on the drawing option and get back to you. Any other suggestions are still welcome :)

Daz

dazn6,

1)reply- ok
2)reply- when using show erase you should carefully select what you want to show or erase by not just the feature, but also the view or whatever you prefer. It is not an exact science and can be messy. However, it helps alot that when you draw the feature that you place the dimensions where you think you want them in the 2d drawing. There is a function for cleanup of the dimensions as well, which works about as well as a hammer.
3) reply- Looking at the options is somewhat usefull, as long as you know what they are for. I suggest getting a list of the config and drawing option settings( it is downloadable) I make one setting that allows me to only keep what I click on when I do show erase.
4) reply- this show dimensions shows all of them that a certain view can depict. You can choose to move the dimension to another view, but this can be a tedious process. Some people give up and just make their own new dimensions. However, there are extra benefits to showing the existing dimensions and when you get used to the nuances it will go faster.

cheers...

M

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back