Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dimension value doesn’t display with &d

ronfya

Hello all,

I have a little problem here. When I make a note on my drawings and try to display the dimension value by using &d33 (to show the value of the dimension referenced d33), this doesn't work anymore and what it is actually displayed is the text &d33 and not the actual value (which is 2) !!

Does anyone know what can I do to display dimension values again ?

Thank you.

Do you have multiple models in your drawing?
Either set current model to one you are working on or add session id.

Charles

After searching a bit what could be the problem, I think I found the first part of the solution. And charleskim seems to think the same.

The drawing in which this happens is an assembly drawing. Which means that when I try to make a reference to dimension 33 by doing &d33, in fact it refers to nothing because there is no dimension 33 in my assembly, it is a dimension of one of the assembly's components !!

So the question is now : in an assembly drawing, how can I do a reference to one dimension of one component (or sub assembly, or sub-sub-component)?

How do I do session ID ? What is it ?

Excuse for being so lame with Pro-E but I come from Solidworks and I'm now asked to work with Pro-E for some projects. I will have to train myself a bit
smiley9.gif

Here isa way to find session ID.

In assembly, goto relations.
Show > Session ID > Part > Pick and select the compoenent.
It will give you a message "Model yourpart.PRT has Session Id 6".

Then in your drawing, you addsession ID to your dimension."&d33:6"

FYI: Session ID is a sequential number ProE assigns to each model in a session.
i.e. If you open up an assembly with 3 components. First component will be session ID 0, second component has session ID 1, third componnent has session ID 2 and the assembly will have session ID 3.

Session ID will change per session.

Charles

It is much easier to just show the dimension then toggle the dimensions to show symbols. The session ID will be shown appended to the end of the dimension "&d33:6".

You can also set the config option

SWITCH_DIMS_FOR_NOTES YES

This will automatically toggle the dims to symbolic during note creation so you can see the dimension symbol and the session ID.

graaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

It makes me mad. Now it happens in a simple drawing with only one model on it. I added a dimension manually and then changed the dimension text to

&p12 x &d14 = @D

in order to show also a number of repetitions (p12) and another dimension (d14) and what I see on the screen is
&p12 x &d14 = 480 +- 0.1

instead of the full values :
8 x 60 +- 0.1 = 480 +- 0.1

What happens there ?!!??
smiley7.gif

ronfya,

What you did should work, I don't see anything worng with it.
Make sure p12 & d14are correct symbols.

FYI: you can use (Alt+0177) to show

this happens if:

1. you have 2 or models in your drawings, check drawing models just in case.

2. you have switch dimensions, check info / switch dimensions. Then they show the symbols not the dimensions.

3. those are not the correct symbols.

4. those are created dimensions, then you should add them as &ad, but if they are from model then &d is OK.

5. you are lookingat the properties window
smiley2.gif
, where you entered the symbols.

Ifyou don't have any of the above then it's strange, they should work. The last one just joking.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back