Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dilatation of a tube

You can manually calculate it for both the length and diameter using the thermal coefficient of expansion for the material and the change in temperature. You shouldn't need pro/e to do this.

Well, I don't want to stay and calculate by hand if this can be accomplished withMechanica. (I don't know how, I will have to get a book and see how, can't be to hard)

Beasides I will need to make adocument showing the expansion and it will look better if I have a picture from Mechanica not just the calculations.

smiley2.gif

The part is looking like this. I think the small tube can be omitted.

View attachment 2847

I think you're right. Due to the complextity of the tube (multiple curves,planes, diameters), Mechanicashould be more accurate and maybe quicker. Unfortunately, I only use Mechanica for load/stress analysis. I have littleexperience with thermal analysis, although this one shouldn't be too hard.

I agree it shouldn't be but don't know how to start. I toouse Mechanica for load/stress. This is the first timeI try Thermal analysis. I thought on making a heat load on the interior surfaces of 100 degrees but don't know if I started right. Anyway there should be someone here who know how to do it.

I look in Help but PTC help is .... will be better without PTC help.
smiley2.gif

Thanks for your help.

The numbers are the tube diameters (I need to know the expansion for the large tube, the 1400 tube I think it can be ignored, but I thought I should mention it also, maybe it's important).

The temperature inside will be 100 degrees. The others I don't know right now (are they important for what Ineed?).The tube will be protected on the exterior with a 100mm isolation (don't know the material), the tube will be in the open, so I think on the exterior it can be -30degrees or +30degrees, but having the isolation I don't think it matters.

I just got this assignament so don't know much about this. Except that I have to find out how much it will expand. So I thought I post this maybe someone will point me in the right direction.

So if anyone knows how to do this, let me know what parameters I need to run a thermal analysis and how to do it.

well, this seamed at the begining a pretty straigth forward task and I thought Mechanica will make this in a second. But searching mechanica Help I didn't find any reference to something like this, so I searched PTC site and found something that I think it's kind of the same.

http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_25/howto/mst728/mst728.htm

and this is a standard static analysis and not a thermal one.

My tube is like this steel block (in the article), willsuffer a change of temperatureupto 100 degrees and it will expand. So I'll give this a try on Monday and see if it works.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back