Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Design for Robotic assembly

JimiH

Hello

Anyone have any advice for design considerations when designingfor robotic assembly?

Our customer wants usto investigate havinga newproduct assembled by a robot and he's willing to pay for the study and the robot its self. What currentuntapped advantages are available within Pro/ENGINEER for this?

WF 2.0

Thanks

Jim

'fanuc robotics coventry uk'might be able to help, dont know if they use Pro-E, any robtics company who did use Pro-E would be a useful contact with your search.

Julian

This reminds me of the time I used a Yaskawa robot to
study weld feasibility. I was then on WF. I modelled the
robot (outer envelop), giving it 6 degrees of freedom,
defining a point at the tip of the weld electrode,
positioning it in space, aligning the point on the tip
to the weld line, creating snap shots, taking it into
Animation module, and creating a movie file............
oooooooooooooofffffffffff i am tired.
smiley4.gif

Hi thanks

I was thinking more of the design of the product rather than the robot. Changing the design to make it easier for a robot to assemble.

Jim

Have a look at the book by Boothroyd & Dewhurst "Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly". You can read part of it, including Chapter 5: Design for High Speed Automatic Assembly and Robot Assembly starting on page 191 here.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Sandy Munro of munro & associates 'design prophet'/ 'design profit'gave excellent training on design for assembly based on boothroyd / lucas butnot getting too boggeddown with their metrics, just the overall philosophy / thinking.

Bart,i reckon robot manufacturers could provide similar advice on allowing for speed of use / cycle time and set up timewith respect toassembly design.

btw Sandy Munro doesnt really advocate robotics as a going in point unless its hazardous product!

Julian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back