Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dell M4400/Vista 64/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

mdristy

Is anyone using the following platform with Wildfire 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0?

Dell M4400/Vista 64/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

The PTC website say it only supports the use of the NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M with Vista. But I'd rather use the best graphics card I can get with that computer.

I have used the fx1700 before and it was fine, but that was with XP Pro. I have recently started using Vista 64 bit and kind of regretting it.

Our IT guys says the biggest problem with Vista 64 is the lack of drivers to graphics and other hardware. That might be the reason why they dont support the better card. It could turn out good though. IF PTC havent run that card thru their test program they dont support it. I've used many different cards during the years that weren't supported without problems.
Gonna stick to XP Pro as long as I can...
smiley2.gif

There is no real noticable speed or performance difference with V64 as far as I can tell, with Proe anyway. I guess my assemblies are just not big enough lol ?

Running more than one application seems easier, but then again I have 8GB ram on this machine etc.

The issues I have with V64 though, are absolutely Random crashes, I mean pro-e just closing whenever it likes. Doesnt have to be large assys or intense surfacing, sometimes just opening a preview in browser causes a crash.

Im going to wait until the next version release and see if a re-install solves the problem, if not, I may just go back to XP.

smiley5.gif

Is Vista the problem, or is it the 64 bit OS? If I go with XP I still want to use a 64 bit version so I can make use of more RAM.

In this case im pretty sure its the 64bit OS. I was happily running pro-e with vista business 32bit before this with pretty much No issues, only since I have gone to 64bit have I had problems.

I looked this morning after reading your initial post and I notice there is M060 released now, im still running M050. I will try to update mine over the next few days and see if it makes any difference.

I think pro-e has crashed 5 times already today !
smiley18.gif

Good luck! Please let us know the results. I will hold off on ordering my new machine for a little while.

By the way, what computer and graphics card are you currently using?

I have recently just put together an Intel Xeon Dual 2.5Ghz, 8GB Ram, 1TB Hard Drive. Graphics card was expensive, Nvidia Quadro FX4600.

Other applications like photoshop, illustrator and the trial of hypershot work nice and fast.

I am currently looking to build a pc for at home too, but dont really want to spench much more than 7-800 USD $ ... about

Yes. Desktops are quite cheap!

The Dell M4400 Duo X9100 3.06GHz/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/4 GB Ram/64 GB Ultra-SSD notebook that I am planning on buying is over $4k. Ouch! So you can see why I want to get it right.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back