Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

datum curve-projected

wilmath

I am using Wildfire 4 and trying to make use of a Roger Toogood advanced tutorial that was written for Release 2001.

In the tutorial on variable section sweeps, he creates a datum curve by projecting it to the side datum. I have tried duplicating that in Wildfire but haven't had any luck.

Any ideas? Thanks

A curve can be projected onto a surface or a datum plane alike. Maybe the book is showing how to do that. Im confused as to how that is used in conjunction with a Variable section sweep tho ... without seeing your example.

Have you at least located the project icon?

Edit > Project
References > Project a sketch...

Its straightforward enough from there on.

I'm using WF2 and cannot project a sketch onto one of the 3 default datums if its the first thing I do. So if I wanted to project onto datum 'FRONT', I'd create an offset datum (from FRONT), project onto that offset datum, then make the offset 0 again.

Then again its sometimes easier just to sketch onto a plane.

Thanks for the help. I didn't know about the project command or where it was located. However, when asked for a chain, I try and hold down the shift key and click on an edge to get the chain. This has not worked and I have to hold down the Ctrl key and pick each component of the chain. I have had this problem with everything else as well.

Thanks again

With regards to selecting a chain to project, here's how to go about:
Edit > Project

You'll be presented with this pop-up:

I've got Tangent selected - I select an entity (no need for CTRL / SHIFT keys) and all tangent entities are selected as my chain.

Not sure how you've had this problem with everything else as well - but hopefully this is one problem solved.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back