Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CUTAWAY

SKYBLUE

I want to create a cutaway section to show the interior of a part in a .drw and an assembly drawing. Is there a way of doing this?

In your assembly, create the cross section either by planer, or offset. Then in the drawing create the view with the properties: X Section, Total X Section. In the next popup window, select Local instead of Total for the cross section type. Select on an entity that is within the boundary of your "cut away", then sketch the spline curve around it that covers what you want to show.

Ok, I am trying this but Pro/E is telling me the "Cross Section is not parallel to the screen. Reselect cross section?". So is there a way to show a cutaway on a 3D view?

I am using Pro/E 2001.

create a family table
open the instance
add a real cutaway at the cross section
create a new view

add this instance to the drawing
insert the new view

You must orient the drawing view (where you want to show the section) parallel to the section plane used.

In case of offset section it must beplaced perpendicular to the place where offset secion is created.

Hope this helps.

trillicomm said:
create a family table
open the instance
add a real cutaway at the cross section
create a new view

add this instance to the drawing
insert the new view

Yeah, I ended up doing this.

It works and looks pretty good, but it seems like a cutaway view function is something that would be helpful to have in the program.

Thanks for the replies

Edited by: MetalHead

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back