Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Curved Axis?

michaelalton

Hi there. Can anyone help me figure out how to animate this scene so that the purple block moves along the curved rod.The block has a hole for the rod to slide through but is not curved to the rods curvature as i also need it to rotate. is there someway i can create a curved axis or is there a connection type i should use.

thanks for the help

MikeView attachment 3633

Hello michaelalton

You can not create arc axis. but you can do one thing from create curve and chage that property as cetre lined. if it is 3d axis. then yo have to create curve by 2projection method and click on that curve after you create. right click say properties. then chage line style..

Hope you understood.

Gopal Kulkarni

In the curved rod there should be a datum curve in the center. In the block there should be points at the intersection of the axis and the face at both ends. Use a point on line connection for each of the points. The block will move along the rod and be free to rotate.

michaelalton,

this is a silly question, so ignore it if you wish:

would the nut function in a real assembly? It seems you are simulating something you would not make, any insight you wish to share on the design intent?
Perhaps, the answer is actually to imagine how the real object would function.

cheers,

M

thanks for the help. I will be sure to give them a go and let you know if i managed it. ProE isn't really my strong point so forums like these are such a help. With regard to it being a real object i'm reverse engineering an existing product. It's two comonents of an ikea lamp. The purple part holds lamp part so that it can be adjusted to any position

Here's another option. This option would give you more precise control of the angles that the components will be assembled at. If you create a "Dummy" part, which contains only datum features and no geometric features, you can use it to create assembly constraints. I did this with the "Dummy_Axis" part below. It was assembled to the arm using a pin connection, and the slider was then assembled to it using another pin connection.

-ecosgriff

View attachment 3648

michaelalton,

sounds like you are making a lamp called the "morker" from ikea. The lamp has no threads, just a smooth curved rod and a sliding block that gets locked down into position. Have you tried to make it as such?

sounds like Israr has the easiest solution...

cheers,

M

Hi every body

why not make two datum points on the center axis of the block at some distance from each other. then on the assembly definetwo slot followers between each point and the curve you drawn for the curved rod feature.

I think this will solve your problem

best wishes.....

I don't think he said it was threaded, only that it needed to turn.

As far as creating a curved axis, that it's possible because of the rules of geometry, it has nothing to do with Pro|E. An axis is straight by definition, in Pro|E, SW, Catia or in the real world.

Perhaps you were using axis figuratively, but I thought I'd point it out. I see questions like this frequently that seem to indicate a lack of understanding of geometry. Many times the things folks want to do aren't possible because the geometry doesn't work rather than any limitation in the software.

Amen, Doug Schaefer !! The software is not 'magic' and cannot do things that you could not do on a drawing board by manual means using projection techniques and descriptive geometry. The software just 'cuts to the chase' and if you do not have a firm grasp of the geometric fundamentals, you might find yourself in trouble....
(my 2

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back