Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Curvature continuous box using splines

cloughna

I am trying to make a curvature continuous "box" shaped cut using splines. A quick sketch looks like this.

As you can see, the control polygon is constrained so that it is a perfect square. However, the spline is obviously not curvature continuous

If i try to do it by defining interpolation points, I get a different result, but still not perfect.

See the upper left (among others)?

Is there a clean way to do this? I know I can set a c2 condition in SW, but I see no option for that in WF3.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Without trying it, my suggestion would be more points, and setting tangents. Instead of a point on the center line, there should be a point at both ends of the straight, and then one in the middle of the curve. making for 12 points total.

Wouldn't setting tangents only give me tangency and, by definition, not curvature continuousness? 12 points seems like an awful lot for a nice smooth curve.

I will give it a shot though, thanks.

Here is a quick rendition of it. If I wanted to really control it, I would create construction lines to dictate the point in the center of the arcs.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back