Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Critical error; file name conflict

SrGilberto

(We use WF5.0 and Windchill)

I've seen what seems to be an odd problem in Windchill. Sometimes in Windchill we get a "warning" symbol that looks like a stop sign in the same line with a few of the objects in our workspace browser. When we mouse over the stop sign symbol the hint shows up that says, "Critical error; file name conflict". These are new parts (brought in by a step file), so we assume that there are parts in commonspace with the same name, which causes the conflict. However, when we search commonspace for that name, it doesn't find any parts by that name. Why is there a file name conflict? What causes this?
Anyone know? Thanks in advance. Gil

Check for both

Number and
Filename

And for Number and FileName of the drawing (if any drawing is created?).

Lets say you create a set with filename 123.prt and 123.drw
If the system is not set right it might generate the NUMBER without extension .prt/.drw.

So the part and drawing gets the same NUMBER: 123

It may be that the file name is already used by someone else for a part in his/her workspace, but it has not been checked in yet. Windchill is aware of anything you have on your workspaces, but since it's not checked in yet then it's not in CommonSpace and therefore you won't find it on a search.

Do you have access to the DB? There is a query you can run to search in all workspaces for this issue. I don't post it here because you need to know what you are doing with the database if you don't want to screw things up. Send me a private message if this query may be of use for you.

It could be common name problem. Inside Commonspace, there are three cells to show one part name.

1. Name - Common name (should be with/without extension)
2. File Name - Exact file name (must be without extension)
3. Number - Part No/Name (same as common name - should be with/without extension)

Moreover, It could be limited access problem. If the same part lies in another product in the commonspace, if we dont have an access to that particular product. Then when we do global search, it will not find the part with same name.

Or else try rename it inside workspace and check-in temporarily and dig into commonspace again.

AaronMejia:

I believe, if the part is new in one workspace and not checked-in yet,
then windchill doesn't show file name conflict error in some others
workspace in another machine.

Ashok Kumar said:
AaronMejia:

I believe, if the part is new in one workspace and not checked-in yet, then windchill doesn't show file name conflict error in some others workspace in another machine.

Believe me, it happens. I even had to develop a small VB app and distribute it to our help desks worlwide to run the query against the oracle database so we could locate those files, the workspace and the user who has them.

You don't need to check in the file, just as long as you save it to your workspace. The error won't appear if someone else creates a file with the same name and stores it in the workspace until he or she tries to check in the file.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back