Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo: Need Help Making bottle (part)

dlmartin

<div align="left"><blockquote><blockquote><blockquote><blockquote>Hey guys i have to make a bottle for my university project, i have picked a coca cola bottle and ive gotten as far as making the body of it via a variable sweep however i have no clue how to make that bottom bit of the bottle where it has like stumpy legs. some help would be greatly appreciated! thanks =)View attachment 5802View attachment 5803View attachment 5804</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></div>

First, why not just make a revolve instead of a variable section sweep? when you create the variable section sweep, you're already creating theprofile of the bottle anyway so a simple revolve gets you the final shape faster and easier.

The bottom features should probably be done with surfaces but I imagine you could come close if you made some swept cuts or variable section sweep cuts to get one of the reliefs and then pattern the reliefs around the axis. then add some fillets to round the corners.

thanks guys, very helpful. what exactly is surfacing? and can i just apply to the bottom of my bottle as it is?? cheers

First, I absolutely agree, this should be a revolve to
start. I always make a habit of looking for the simplest
feature to accomplish the geometry (extrudes, revolves),
and move on to more advanced features (sweeps, blends,
etc) only if needed.

Surfacing refers to modeling only the surface, no 'fill'
if you will. You can make surface features of any feature
type, but generally when people refer to 'surfacing' they
mean more advanced, sculpted forms made with boundary
blends, variable sections weeps and ISDX.

I don't have one of those bottles to look at, but memory
tells me that you shouldn't need the advanced surface
features for that base. You should be able to use
revolved and extruded surfaces, merged together
appropriately and then use the resultant surface quilt to
cut away the original revolved solid. You may be able to
do it with a revolved solid cut to a small angle and then
patterned around the diameter.

Good luck!

would someone be able to do the bottle for me on cad? im really having trouble with it! i can send the dimensions.

Definitely use a revolve for the top of the bottle.

The best way to create the bottom would be to create a Variable Section Sweep (or sweep in Creo). The variation would be created with a Datum Curve - from Equation.

View attachment 5808

The equation would be cylindrical with a constant radius and variable angle and a varying height:

View attachment 5809

Once you have the curve, use the bottom of the existing extrude or revolve and some base of curve for the inside of the bottle (this could be a point if you want to be tricky but it is probably more difficult than necessary.

Use these three curves to drive the surface of the variable section sweep and use a Conic curve: this allows variation in height w/o variation of radius. You should get something close to what (I believe) you are looking for.

View attachment 5810

Hope that helps.

sorry guys, i do appreciate the help but this info is way beyond my Creo
knowledge, i had to miss a load of lessons because i got ill. i only got as far
as i did by using watching a step by step turorial on youtube. im really
stressing because it has to be handed in by friday and i have a load of other
assignments in for then! i also need to shell the bottle so its hollow and have
no clue on how to achieve that!

The shell part is dirt simple. Select the shell command and then pick the surface at the mouth that you want to remove. Give it a thickness and you're done.

dlmartin said:
sorry guys, i do appreciate the help but this info is way beyond my Creo

knowledge

although it may seem simple, the bottle uses many advanced modeling techniques that even veterans may not fully grasp. i've been using Pro-E for 14 years and I have never once had to make a feature using an equation. I learn new things every day so for a student to just randomly pick something to model and fully understand how to do it is actually quite a difficult task.

yes, organic shapes and such look cool but they are often difficult to model with only a basic understanding of the software. Heck, I've been stumped for hours on features that shouldn't be difficult but turn out to be very.

unfortunately, the only way to get better is by doing it and making mistakes so you really understand how the software works.

okay guys, thanks for the help, this bottle is in for tomorrow and would someone be able to post step by step instructions in what to do starting from scratch because i obviously started it wrong by doing a variable sweep. screen shots would be extremely helpfull aswell. if someone can do this i would greatly appreciate! thanks

dlmartin,

This should only take 30 min tops to redo!

1. create a drawing of the current part with a section that shows 95% of the dims required, then print it out!

2. Delete the current geom and start with a rotated solid.

3. As the base shape is 95% defined in the section all you need to do is create 5 radial cuts to finish the base shape. Then add rads.

4. Shell and select the top openning so the bottle will be true to form.

5. The small flange at the top will require a second revolve after the shell!

Done!

thanks but you might have to be more specific, imagine i have been using creo for 3 days, im literally a retard. what do you mean by 95% of the dims required and why would i print it out?

like literally i dont know what you mean in what you have said? im not very good with the terms! sorry

please please please if someone can do it for me before 5pm tommorow i would love you, im freaking out i cant do it!!! too little time!

Stop freaking out. The important thing to remember when
we tell you it's easy is, it really is easy. You just
don't
know it yet.

The bottom has been done for you already years ago. The
link that Jacek gave you "Bottom of Bottle" has the
information you need. The part is called KL. The rest of
the bottle you have already got. You just need to re-
create it.

Open the section of the variable section sweep that you
first created. Take a screen shot and print it out.
That's what nbaptist is referring to. Use those
dimensions in a revolve feature that you add to the end
of the part "KL".

In KL, you may have to reduce the diameter of the first
surface and the dimension to the peak of the "stump" in
the third surface. It looks like this part was for a two
liter bottle.

Now get going. Less talk more rock.
Edited by: mgnt8

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back