Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 SE - Personal setup

nicfre2011

I am looking into purchasing Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 Student Edition for Personal Use and wanted to get some feedback from the resident experts on my current computer setup to make sure that it will work well before buying Creo Elements. Any comments/feedback would be much appreciated!

Hewlett Packard Model P6110F
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (64-bit)
System Board
Chipset Intel G31/G33/G35/P31/P35
Southbridge Intel 82801IR (ICH9R)

Base Board
Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
Product Benicia
BIOS
Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
Release Date 05/06/2009
BIOS Version String 5.39
ROM Size 1.00 MB

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
Name Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
Cores 2
Threads 2
Current Speed 2.60 GHz
Multiplier x 13.0 (6 - 13)
FSB Speed 799.99 MHz
Technology 45 nm
Features MMX, PSE36, EM64T, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, XD
L1 Instruction Cache 2 x 32.00 kB
L1 Data Cache 2 x 32.00 kB
L2 Cache 2.00 MB

Video Card
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Video Card Chip Type Intel(R) GMA 3100
Video Card Memory 320.00 MB
Video Card BIOS Intel Video BIOS
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys
Driver Version 7.15.10.1666, 2-26-2009

I'm not a fan of Vista, it's a resource hog, especially if you have anti-virus like Symantec/Norton. My home computer is a 32-bit Vista with Norton andI can barely get google to load. Imay have missedit, but I didn't see your specs on RAM. CAD like ProEwants lots of RAM, and unfortunately so does Vista.

Hardware requirements really depend on what kind of work you'll be doing. The more complex your parts and the more parts you have, the more system and graphics memory you'll need. Personally I think emphasis should be placed on system memory. My last work computer had 4GB (3.5 becuase of 32-bit windows) RAM and .5GB video memory. It worked out well for most projects, but my current project involves a several componets, the main one being a vehicle. So I've upgraded to a computer with 64-bit Windows 7, 6GB RAM and 2GB dedicated video memory. It still has a little trouble with my master assembly, I'm hoping to beef up the RAM soon. You probably don't need all that at home though.

My suggestion to you is upgrade to Windows 7 and get at least 4GB RAM (it's kind of cheap right now). Also, if you're connecting to the internet, my IT guys strongly suggest something other than Symantec/Norton.

I am considering purchasing this myself to play around with at home. I currently use WF3 at work. What are the limititations compaired to a full version. I couldn't find any comparison on the PTC website.

For starters no manufacturing, diagram, piping, or cabling. I think there are some limitations on the analyses in Mechanica. Files created can't be openedin commercial version and can't open commercial version files.

And I think that you cannot print without a watermark appearing on any drawings. I have a student version of WF5 and that is the way it is. It is simply a tool to learn the software's functionality.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back