Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo config file and related questions

boydt

My questions are at the bottom...

I am setting up a department where I work with Creo.... This dept in a way runs as a seperate business from the rest of us. We all use I-Link and WF3.0. We have been promised for some time now that when they (corporate) decides on which PDM package they want to use we would be updating to WF5.0/Creo.

Well..... This department being the rogue group they are decided to go ahead and buyCreo for themselvles on theassumption (probably befuddled by a sales person)that it had it's own PDM package. It was installed by our IT team and the engineers in this area called me singing the blues that it works NOTHING like WF3.0. First of all it was not pointed to use our config.pro file and it works nothing like what they are used to as everything is running like it does right out of the box.

They were very surprised and angry when I told them that Creo has NO PDM package included and now they will have to be very disciplined when they save, copy and delete since they have nothing managing them.

I have worked with Pro/E outside of I-link a lot and will be passing on a lot of tips to them, is there a thread with tips I can point them to?

Was I correct in telling them that Creo comes with NO PDM package?

I was told that Creo has troubles with configs from older releases, is that correct?

What are the differences if any between WF5.0 and Creo when it comes to modeling?

Would somone be willing to share their config files with me to get started with? Our configs were built way back in 1999 with release 2000 and have been modified several times with no clean up to them.

Hi boydt,

Below is my response

Was I correct in telling them that Creo comes with NO PDM package? Yes you are correct

I was told that Creo has troubles with configs from older releases, is that correct? Never heard of this problem. You can use older configs in latest version as well, just to make sure refer configs guide available on PTC for WF 5.0

What are the differences if any between WF5.0 and Creo when it comes to modeling? There are lot of difference, main is UI it would take much time for users to get used to it. Other than this you could see parts and assemblies made faster

Visit www.proesite.com to find a list of new and obsolete
config options from WF3 to Creo 1.0. Look under 'OCUS
Utilities'

In general, you can use your old config with new
releases, but some options will be invalid. In rare
cases, they may cause a problem with the software, but
usually they'll just be ignored.

Creo does have an issue with config files in that you
cannot load multiple files and then edit them with in the
software. Creo 1.0 will only save all the loaded options
into one file, there is no way to change an option or two
and save just those options to a specific file.

We use PDMLink but since you don't currently have that option, you may find the following useful:

http://www.sharptechdesign.com/
Particularly: CAD Administrative Services & Windows Utilities for Pro/ENGINEER

They have some batch files and hints and tips for working outside of a Data management (DM) system. You may have to experiment to see if it still works in Creo.

It sounds like you have your hands full and I hope you are able to migrate toDM system soon. Good Luck!

I would recommend moving from I-link to PDMLink or one of the other Windchill products. You will be glad you did (once the beating your head against the wall during the implementation is done).

Of course, there will always be those that cannot handle change and will complain that it is horrible. It provides so many more tools that you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back