Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating Sweeps on Curved Surfaces

G

For Pro/Engineer III Program:

Question: "How do you create a cut out, groove or sweep on a curved surface such as a cylinder? One with turns included?"

P.S: "please use laymen terms, I am only just starting to use the program.

Thanks.

Edited by: Wazza

If u project u cant get that.

u can Wrap a curve on the cylindrical surface

then go to sweep or variable section sweep.

otherwise go for helical sweep

Venu

Ok, I understand how to do that, and thats no troubles.
I know how to create a straight groove also by using "revolve".

But my problem is trying to create a groove that has left and right turns as well as straight turns on a curved surface, all as one.

How do I do that?

cmindler said:
You could sketch a curve and project that onto the surface and then sweep along that curve.

Tell me more about this method, this looks like it might work....

venu2citd said:
If u project u cant get that.

u can Wrap a curve on the cylindrical surface

then go to sweep or variable section sweep.

otherwise go for helical sweep

Venu

And this method looks like it might work also, tell me more....

Wazza said:
cmindler said:
You could sketch a curve and project that onto the surface and then sweep along that curve.

Tell me more about this method, this looks like it might work....

Hi Wazza, basically if you have a cylinder created you should have your two datum planes passing through the centre ? If so, you can offset one of the datum planes so that it is outside of the cylinder. Now, sketch your required curves onto this new datum plane. Once created, select the curve and then go to EDIT / Project, you then select your cylindrical surfaces and the curve you created will be projected onto these surfaces.

Next step is to create the sweep. Go to Insert / Sweep, you can then choose protrusion or Cut etc. It will ask you for a trajectory, select your sketch that you created earlier...it will then feed you into sketcher mode to create your section. Once done, there you have a sweep along your cylinder
smiley9.gif

Hope that is simple enough to get you started.

zpaolo said:
Can you better explain how this is obtained?Thanks a
lot!Paolo
The wrap command is used on RULED
surfaces, like cones or cylinders.
Insert-->Wrap (and not WARP).
have a look at the help section for a systematic approach
to executing the command.
Essentially the command is akin to winding a thread on a
Ruled surface.

hey guys quite new to pro e so bit lost. Ok I want to make a pipe with bends in it say 'S' shaped. I know I have to use the sweep tool but have no more ideas. Could anyone help? yes I have watched the video linked to this site doesn't seem to tell you how to make the trajectories.

mark ii, welcome!

The trajectory can be made in several ways... easiest is probably just at sketch curve. Then you gotall the "datum curve " options (thru point , by equation and so on) or you can create the curve ( traj) in style, or you can sweep on an edge... and so on.....

but probably the easist =sketch.

//Tobias

Thanks Tobbo.

Ok found the datum curve tool but still lost. Suppose I start of with a circle then I click on the datum there are options thru points, from file, use xsec and from equation. Not really sure what to do after.

Still just want to make a cylinder in the 's'
If there is a video somewhere could someone point it out.
Thanks guys.
smiley4.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back