Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating subassembly BOMs

motzmaniac

This is for a large assembly with several subassemblies. We need a BOM for the whole assembly on the first sheet. I created separate BOMs for each subassembly as well. How can I make the rpt.index column of my subassy table display the index numbers from the main BOM and not start over at 1? This way all my balloons will match no matter which BOM you are looking at. Thanks

Thank you for the reply. I was able to use "fix index" to record a new index number for each component of the subassembly BOM. But is there a way to create a relation between the Main assy BOM and the subassy BOM's so that when the index numbers are created for the subassy BOMs they will automatically be changed to match the index numbers from the main assy BOM? My BOM has several hundred parts, so going through the main BOM and finding the index number that each part coressponds to can become very tedious and timeconsuming. I dont know anything about relations so maybe there isn't a way. Just a thought though. Thanks again

You can create a BOM with several repeat regions. Our BOM here conforms to that in the Drawing Requirements Manual and so has ten regions. Each region can be programmed to read a different model or representation. Furthermore, each region can have its Start Index attribute set to begin numbering where the previous region leaves off. Hence, you can have your first regionread and display the components in the top assembly, a second region read and display the components in another assembly (or representation), and have a nice, consecutive column of unique index numbers and corresponding parametric balloons. You can even have blank rows between rows containing repeat regions with, for instance, a bold text style and containing cells into which you can manually enter a parameter and session ID to display the names of the subassemblies for which you are calling out components.

Start with a new table. Create three rows. Create a simple repeat region in each row. Fill the cells of each repeat region with your model parameters. You should now have three separate repeat regions with three sets of identical model parameters. When you load up an assembly, the table should display three duplicate sets of model parameter values. Now, to force the second region to read in the parameters from a different assembly, choose Table->Repeat Region->Model/Rep and select the second region. When the Open dialog box appears, simply select the assembly you want to display. Pro will warn you about losing balloons, but that's expected because now that you have separate regions, you will have separate groups of balloons, all parametric. Once you've okayed everything, you should see different parameter values, those of the second assembly, displayed in the same BOM as those of the initial assembly. Repeat these steps for the third region.

Now, the last thing to do is synchronize the index numbering. No doubt you've noticed that with each region the numbering starts over with 1. Select Table->Repeat Region->Attributes and select the second region. Choose Start Index and pick the first repeat region. When you finish, you'll see the index numbering for the second region pick up where the first region left off. Do the same for the third region, selecting the second region as its start index and you should now have a cohesive BOM with consecutive numbering across different repeat regions.

When you place balloons now, Pro will realize the BOM has several regions and will ask you to set the region for which you want balloons. You'll want balloons for all three regions so set all three regions. Now when you create the balloons, Pro will ask you for which region you would like balloons created and it'll be your job to select one. Repeat this balloon creation for all three regions and you'll have it!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back