Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating bolts

jti30666

I have been trying to create a bolt now for the past hour and I cannot get it to work..

Basically I forgot how to do it but even after watching several tutorials I cannot get the helical sweep>>cut to work

Would having a fine thread cause any problems, such as a 0.0393 in pitch???

Please give me a walk through on how to create these threads...

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you walk-thro for creating threads, but why would you want to create bolt models with threads modelled ?

Unless you are using them for appearance such as rendering, just use cosmetic threads. The modeled threads will bog down your system because of the recalculations per bolt in your design.

I need to know how to create the threads for school, Florida State
University - College of Engineering, because I have a pro/e test coming
up next month and my CAPSTONE project due using this feature..

I just want to know how to create screws, its really bothering me that I don't know how to do it...

Any possible internships may want to look over my shoulder to see if I know what I am doing

BTW....It won't bog down my system
smiley36.gif

gn3d said:
Send me an e-mail and I'll send you walk-thro for creating threads, but why would you want to create bolt models with threads modelled ?

I cant send you a pm not do I know who to sent the email to thru your webpage...I was not sure if it would be appropriate to use the contacts on your website then in the subject line "contact: gn3d"....

You could be running into an accuracy problem or you could have the helix self intersection which is a no-no. Increase the accuracy (smaller value), increase the pitch/feature size or change the sketch to figure out which it is.

ARGG WRONG CODE ENTERED ! Good thing I wrote this in word first...
Using Wildflower 4.0 (M150):<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Insert / helical sweep / cut

Done / pick a plane / ok / default
(You should now be seeing a side view to sketch your sweep profile. If not: start over)

Sketch a line along the MINOR diameter.
(The start and end points may have to extend past the bolt to have a full thread.)

Put a Dimension it, the same as the MINOR dia.

Sketch a CENTER LINE on the center axis. (Don

I have made screws plenty of times for cosmetic appeal (pretty pictures for sponsors and assembly drawings). My process is similar to Dan's, but I'll try and describe what I do.

- for my sweep profile I set the Attributes to Constant, Thru Axis, and Right Handed.
- I set the trajectory to the nominal diameter.
- I define the pitch as 1 / threads per inch.
- I use an equilateral triangle whose side length is equal to the pitch for the thread shape/section.
Those are the basics.

A couple of notes:
-One issue I used to come across was making sure the pitch value entered in the dialog box matches, or is greater than, the pitch of the sketch. you could have a problem where the cut will try to overlap itself with each revolution. I added a couple of pics, hope they help a little.

View attachment 5566

View attachment 5567

View attachment 5568

-Try using relations to drive dimensions, this allows you to more accurately shape the threads (based on web or machinist handbook, like Dan said).

-use of relations and parameters also made it easier for me to create family tables of screws/nuts. I now have personal libraries of hardware with vendor-specific part number info. This makes assemblies and resultant BOM more comprehensive.

Hey Mike: Great screenshots ! Did you use the buttons in "Post Reply" or did you just paste them in the "Message*" area?

I just noticed that dr_gallup has 2349 posts !! WOW. I would just like to say THANKS to everyone whoposts on this forum. You guys and gals have saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I have learned more on this site than I ever did in classes. This is always my first stop for those un-answerable questions.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back