Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating a surface using existing solid

boleslawny

<DIV =wordwrap>Hello,

I would like to import 3d geom from proE to ansys as a 2d surface. For example I have asimple cone (made with revolve) in proE and as a result I would like to have a triangle surface in ansys.
I suppose that if I cut my cone half through I could somehow create a surface from it and than save it as a *.igs file and import it to ansys, but unfortunately I have no idea how to do it:(.
Thanks for help

Cheers,
michael </DIV>

I'm drawing a blank on the object of the game...

A plane triangle (Fill Feature) surface?

A facet / mesh rep?

A mid (Offset Feature) surface to mesh in Ansys?

I think you want a surface so to do a specific type of analysis in Ansys. In Mechancia they call it a surface as opposed to a 3d triangulation or mesh.Although we teach those tools at design engine i know almost nothing about those tools... i just watch from a far.But I do know how to export just a surface from Pro/E.

You make a copy in Pro/E of the surface you want... highlight the surface (pink: ptc thinks that is red and I corrected that on the certification tests) and using 'CONTL C' and 'CONTR V' to paste.Then Cut your part completely away with a solid cut. WALA ... your left with a surface that you can export.
Edited by: design-engine

You can manipulate the CAD (turn thin solids to surfaces) in Ansys if the following are true: You are running ansys workbench, and you have a license for designmodeler.

Otherwise, the iges (or step) export options should do the trick nicely.

If there are multiple adjacent surfaces in ansys, make sure you pay attention to their direction, as the translation often flips the normals on you without notice, or reason. :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back