Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating a simple bowl is driving me nuts

wildfirebrigade

Im trying to model a "salad" bowl. This bowl is globular at the bottom and square at the top.
Now the difficulty: I would like the bowl to be perfectly round until about half of its height (see image), above that, it should shape into a square form.

See attached image: how can i connect the two forms smoothly (tangential)???

View attachment 4769

<DIV style="DISPLAY: none" id=divCleekiAttrib expanded="0" activeid="-1" menuleft="0" menutop="0" menuright="0" menubottom="0"></DIV>
<DIV style="DISPLAY: none" id=divCleekiAttrib expanded="0" activeid="-1" menuleft="0" menutop="0" menuright="0" menubottom="0"></DIV>
Edited by: wildfirebrigade

Swept blend or boundary blend would do it.
create a sketch on the top of the circular portion that is
broken up into 8 sections. that will get you your blend
control.

Boundary blend is what I'd suggest, however, looking at your geometry I think that you're going to have issues in the corners with maintaining tangency and a smooth form.

Indeed, I cant get the boundary blend result to be tangential to the already created circular section. any suggestions?
<div menubottom="0" menuright="0" menutop="0" menuleft="0" activeid="-1" expanded="0" style="display: none;" id="divCleekiAttrib"></div>

Are you sure that it's trying to be tangent to the bowl? If you selected the sketched circle, it may default to being tangent to the sketch plane. Double check in the 'constraints' tab.

Also, if you want to force not only tangency but also curvature continuity be sure _not_ to use standard rounds for the flat part, you have to use CC rounds (WF5.0) or draw CC splines instead of rounds in the sketch

Paolo

A Boundary Blend between the two shapes: My initial tangency condition where it meets the bowl looked like this:

View attachment 4775

That's obviously wrong. But under the Constraints tab of the Boundary Blend, you can select surfaces for Tangency. I reselected the curved surfaces of the bowl, and now get a much better looking shape:

View attachment 4776

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back