Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating a groove on a surface

zpaolo

How do you create smooth grooves on a surface? I've always used ISDX and curves to build them, but today playing with standard surfacing I found this neat trick I'd like to share with you, if someone is interested... The part is like this:

I wanted to do it in a completely controlled way, both for width, depth and transition range.

First I created a curve on surface, you can use ISDX or project, doesn't matter, then added some offset curves:

There are two "side curves" with a controlled offset to define how large the groove is, and a normal offset curve for constant, controlled depth. I added two curves on surface to "close" the groove shape and trim the surface inside

I then made a curvature continuous boundary blend with side, bottom and side curve. To "clear" an area for the transition I used the "Extend" tool, this can accept a numerical input, I like it!

Once the gap was created, it was easy to fill it with another CC boundary blend, as you can see below:

Ok, I don't think it's nothing outrageous, I like the way I can control all dimensions.

Paolo

that is the way it is Zpaolo

same way I followed while making "grooves" on the hood of my Pontiac Solsctice

The first link is spot on, that's exactly what I did with my SE T610 model. Alias Design is always a great source of information :)

Paolo

muadib3d said:

Just a question regarding the third method: when I used it in the past I tweaked a lot the trasversal curves and trimming sketch to obtain the best curvature, but I've wondered if there is a more straightforward method.

The tutorial talks about "birail" that can be obtained in ISDX, the ideal scenario would be to use one of the original cross section trimmed back and two of the profiles curves, but without a fourth curve to close the boundary continuity is lost...

That's why I usually draw all the curves you can see in the third picture...

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back