Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CPU 1 core vs 2 core

frezman

MY question is it pointless to make upgrait from P4 2.93 Ghz 1 MB cashe FSB 533 Mhz S 775 to Intel Dual Core E 2000 series or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ series?I search in ptc.com for hardware support and find support for core 2 duo and opteron.Can someone tell me E 2000 series and X2 4000+ series are support with WF3 or WF4?

Check out the OCUS Benchmark. I see a few Athlons on there but they're not ranked very highly. Personally, I think life is way too short to waste waiting for your model to regenerate. Spring for the extra few hundred and get the Opteron.

Thanks for advice.I decide to wait and probably buy CORE 2 DUO E 6000 or E 8000 series.And one more question Pro/E WF 3 or WF 4 support Quad core?And more specific Intel Core 2 QUAD Q 6600.

About the only time when I can use the second core in ProE is when I generate tool paths and send the computations to my second processor, I can to continue to work while ProE calculates tool paths. Normally you have to wait for ProE to generate the CL files before you can do anything.

sjohnson said:
About the only time when I can use the second core in ProE is when I generate tool paths and send the computations to my second processor, I can to continue to work while ProE calculates tool paths. Normally you have to wait for ProE to generate the CL files before you can do anything.

Forgive me my ignorance, but how do you do that? Selecting the core to do tasks for you I mean.
Thanks

You need to enable distributive computing in you manufacturing environment (assuming you installed the component when you loaded ProE) by setting nc_jobman_visible to YES. Also you will need to start the DCAD process up by running the batch file dcadsetup.bat with the -force option. You will also need to setup a server list. If you include your self in the server list then use the Jobman to send the processing back to your workstation another hidden session of ProE will be started on your second processor. If you have others in your server list running the dcad dameon (they must have the same version of pro loaded) then you can send them your work to do while you continue on with what ever you are doing. The great thing abou this is that submitting the job to your second processor or another station does not freeze your session of pro as it is working.

Check out 'Distributed Computing' and 'jobman' at PTC or in your help files. It is pretty easy to setup.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back