Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copying parts in Windchill vs. Intalink3x

jusford

We're going to Windchill and I've been asked how we are going to copy (duplicate)parts from an assembly, give it a new name but have the option of retaining the relationship with the assembly. I believe we do this now with Intralink 3x but not sure how in Windchill (we're in trial mode right now).

Thanks-Justin

Duplicating:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
In Intralink 3.4 this was achieved using object#duplicate.
In PDM Link you:

Thank you, this seemed to work to an extent. However we can't seem to duplicate/copy a part/subassembly>give it a new number>then retain the relationship to the top level assembly. The only way we can retain the relationship is to also make a copy of the top level assembly. Any thoughts on how to create a copy of a subassembly giving it a new number while retaining the relationship?

TIA-Justin

Hi, If I understand you correctly you want to duplicate the part or subassembly so that the new object is also a child of thr top level assembly.

To the best of my knowledge the only way that you can create a parent to child relationship is to have the new part constrained or packaged into the top level assembly.

If its just an association relationship you are after you can assign the sub assembly to the top level in PDM Link using a WT Part that will make the sub assembly appear in the top level BOM and Product structure. This is quite similar to manually creating a user defined relationship in Intralink 3.x.

I have no knowledge of windchill. But if you open the top asm( all if ther ismorethan one)in ProE, and rename in session the part and drawing the you like to have a copy of. Now when you save the top asm the relation ship will be to the new part and not the old.

Doing a save as does work if your part and drawing have the SAME name. Where I work our naming/numbering scheme is not codnusive to this and therefore when we have a part that is "part01-01" with a drawing "part01-xx"the dependency is lost between the part and the drawing. Does anyone know how to get around this problem to create duplicates of the part and drawing within the workspace?

I know exactly what you are asking. In Intralink 3x you could select a part or sub-assembly and perform a duplicate. That particular Part/Sub-assembly could reside in any number of other top level assemblies and it would ask you which ones you would like to maintain the current relationships with and which one you would like updated to include your new sub-assembly. So far I have not been able to find that same functionality within Windchill. I will keep you posted if I figure it out. It is a total sham if PTC removed this kind of top level functionality.
smiley7.gif

In Windchill when you do a Save As, you have the option ofselecting the assemblies in which the original part is a member (all the assemblies have to be in the workspace) and replace it with the newly copied version. You can all replace the components in the drawings but if you are making a new part, it would make sense to also make a new drawing.

This works very simply but you have to have all related assemblies in which you want to swap the component in the workspace.

Srieger,
Thanks for the heads up on this. I think my problem was exactly what you mentioned. I did not have all of the assemblies checked out in my workspace. I will give it a try.

Thanks,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back